Just gotta ***** about it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just gotta ***** about it.

Well, after spending 200 bucks on the XP Pro edition I get it in my mind to do some research into the product activation of Windows XP. Results:

Well, I'm now completely bald and I think I've got an ulcer..

Snippets direct from the Microsoft site:
    -

-

"The hardware identification identifies only the PC and only for the sole purpose of activation. Windows can detect and tolerate changes to your PC configuration. Minor upgrades will not require re-activation. If you completely overhaul your PC you may be required to activate Windows again. " :snip:

So, let me decode that: You'll be screwed if you decide to upgrade the main components of your comp.. Mobo - CPU. Unfortunately my DUMB arse is about to overhaul my comp [EPoX 8KHA+ mobo, AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53 GHz, 512MB PC2100 Crucial RAM, PNY Ti200 GeForce3 64MB DDR]. Hmm.. "Hello, Microsoft.. I need a new Product Code because I'm a computer geek who actually LIKES to keep my computer with the times."

Anyways.. that's what the Army taught me to shoot at the head for, right?

Raven
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Yep it's a really suck arse setup. :(

Comment

LOL, thanks Wiggo.

If anyone is interested, here's an article on exactly how the computer is identified, and how 'lenient' Windows XP is in the determination of wether or not a new Registration is required after an upgrade.

Quite interesting reading - yeah, how many bottles of beer was that? - might come in handy.

Raven
      Chris "Raven"
      News Crew - TweakTown
      <!--
      <font size=1>
      - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
      - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
      </font>
      // -->
      "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

Comment

Just went through the same **** with m$. It was 2am and the last thing I wanted to be doing was talking to m$. I also updrade
        allot. Next will be subscription based winblows. The money tree is drying up so the are doing anything they can to keep it going. :geek: Ed

Comment

I agree.. bunch of bullcrap. Makes me want to do the whole "Yarr.. Matee" thing, know what I mean? :laugh:

Can we say Corporate XP Cracked version? No.. Of course not.. that would be.. WRONG!

Raven
          Chris "Raven"
          News Crew - TweakTown
          <!--
          <font size=1>
          </font>
          // -->

Comment

Looks like Linux is goin' to get more popular. ;)

Comment

your first mistake was paying for XP
              :)

Im giving serious thought to going to where the grass is greener. Ive been running the 'Drake on my soon to be dead linux box and so far it does everything I want it to except gaming. (in the sence that linux wont run the new release games...the linux box is hardly a gaming beast as it stands) The list of things i cant live without is almost down to 1 or 2 programs. 2-6 months ago that list was huge, and was a major put off to switching to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
                Can we say Corporate XP Cracked version? No.. Of course not.. that would be.. WRONG!
                well... umm... corporate XP doesn't need to be cracked becoz it doesn't need to be registered ;)
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Lol.. nice catch! Thanks for proving me incorrect on that point.

And YES.. Paying for it would be an act I dont usually follow.. Wait, no didnt say that.

I gave Mandrake Linux a try and a spinoff of Storm Linux. Pretty impressive, I'd say. Gave it up because I didnt have the technical expertise on it that I needed to run with. Might go back to it, try to set up a server on my old comp when I upgrade.

Raven
                  Chris "Raven"
                  News Crew - TweakTown
                  <!--
                  <font size=1>
                  </font>
                  // -->

Comment

I wish I never payed for it either. Must have been or still am out of my mind. ED

Comment

Originally posted by Andy

well... umm... corporate XP doesn't need to be cracked becoz it doesn't need to be registered ;)
                      format c:
                      yes
                      _____ ______ _____ ______ ______
                      Welcome to Windows XP
                      ....(???????)(wink wink)
                      ....(???????)(hehehehehe)
                      IE6
                      TweakTown has the most authoritative, unbiased technology, science, space, and gaming news and reviews. Trusted in North America and globally since 1999.

thats my path to success (wink wink)
                      i tried mandrake...i felt like a retart...i hated that feeling...i went back to xp and felt even smarter...lol...(going back was a *****) (MS-DOS diskettes....AAAAAHHHHHHH)

Lataz...lol...nice topic guys...hehehe wink wink

FiReBLaZR
                      :devil: :devil: :afro: :devil: :devil:

Comment

Working...
                      X