X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a Video Card

I need help guys.

I want to buy a Video card.

My price range is $255 and I want somethign with the performance of a GeForce2 MX400.

Specs are as follows:
    Intel Celeron 566MHz (Not Overclocked)
    Intel 810 Chipset
    Intel Integrated VGA
    NO AGP!
    384MB PC-133 SDRAM
    That is all I know about the motherbaord as it is a crappy Harvey Norman Computer. I need a PCI version of a card by the looks of things. Any help will be rewarded with beer.

Actually Slamo in that price range there should be several cards to choose from.
    The PCI solutions are usually quite comparable in performance to the AGP versions. Unfortunately, as manufacturers do like to promote their high-end products, combined with the fact reviewers do concentrate on the latest-greatest. Reviews of these PCI cards can be rather difficult to find.
    Best bet would be to go with a manufacturer that has a good AGP card, as the PCI solution will contain for the most part the same features/performance.

Best of luck to you!
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Slamo
      I need help guys.

I want to buy a Video card.

My price range is 5 and I want somethign with the performance of a GeForce2 MX400.

Specs are as follows:
      Intel Celeron 566MHz (Not Overclocked)
      Intel 810 Chipset
      Intel Integrated VGA
      NO AGP!
      384MB PC-133 SDRAM
      That is all I know about the motherbaord as it is a crappy Harvey Norman Computer. I need a PCI version of a card by the looks of things. Any help will be rewarded with beer.
      The answer is simple buy the Geforce 2mx 400

Comment

1. Unless you only want to deal with email and chat rooms, you should really consider upgrading to a motherboard with AGP bus support, and stash that vid integrated mobo.
        2. Also modern mobo give support got decent performance 7200rpm ATA-100 and ATA-133 hd, (near SCSI performance for 1/5 the price.)
        3. Aditionally if you can find a modern mobo with 400MHz fsb that especially helps DDRam shine through (2 or 3 sticks of 512MB ram helps graphics intensive games sparkle, ie. EverQuest.) Antique mobo will limit you to 100MHz fsb and PC-100 memory (at least it is super cheap.)
        4. Considering the PIII 1GHz is like $150 now and not that long ago it was near a thousand $, well, upgrading from that 566MHz celery to the 1GHz cpu + AGP GeForce 2 (32 or 64MB) vid card means alot more enjoyment visually.
        5. Going to GF 3 or GF 4 vid cards really means u going to need modern mobo. And limiting that vid card to pci bus (33MHz) instead of AGP (67MHz) is like geting a tweeked out mustang and insisting on a 1 liter instead of a 4 or 5 liter engin.

Comment

Here's a few that are available around here
          32mb Powercolor Geforce2 --PCI $160
          Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT PCI 32MB with Kyro GPU $175 (can be found cheaper)
          3D Power Geforce 2 MX 32mb PCI $230
          and even a
          32mb Powercolor tnt2-m64 --PCI $125
          will give you a much better performer than what ya have.
          So just have a look around the stores down there and you should find something that will suit ya. ;)

Oh and Bug we are lookin' at $aus and a 1GHz PIII costs about $400aus here. :(
          <center> </center>

Comment

PIII 1GHz $128 www.pricewatch.com/1/3/2448-1.htm
            PIV 1.4GHz sock 478, $137 www.pricewatch.com/1/3/4388-1.htm

Comment

Bug, as Wiggo said, we are talking Australian Dollars here.. So double that price, add a heap on for shipping overseas, and then you'll be coming close...

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                Bug, as Wiggo said, we are talking Australian Dollars here.. So double that price, add a heap on for shipping overseas, and then you'll be coming close...
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                saddening, but very true :( :cry:
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I never thought about how difficult it can be to get hardware in other parts of the world. I am a gringo from the US and have been spoiled by next day shipping on anything i want or can imagine. Most things can be delivered to your doorstep for less than a trip to the store to buy it.

I checked UPS and it cost $70 US to ship a Videocard from the US to Australia that costs me $60 delivered to my doorstep. I also have no idea what or if customs has duties involoved.

If anyone wants some parts and wants to me to ship them to Australia I could do that quite easily. We could setup ebay aucions or just use Paypal to handle the transfers.

If So, that means a GEForce 2 GTS delivered in Australia could be had for about $130 US. or $255 AUS

Not such a good deal anymore.

Was a nice exercise anyway.

:flames:

Comment

Working...
                  X