What to use to cut holes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use to cut holes...

I am just curious as to what you guys have used to cut holes in your cases for fans. I've got a window that I'd like to put two 80mm fans in, but i'm not sure how to make the holes. Also, does the size of the fan refer to the diameter of the actual fan, or is it something like the diagonal? Thanks!

I tried a Drill bit he first time (80mm/ 3 Inch). It kept on wearing on me...so i decided to try a Dremel. Its worked but i use the 30,000 electrical cord one...the others look too weak but i may be wrong. Anyhow, Dremel those the joband sands it down too.:thumb:

When you see 80mm or 120mm etc its refers to the diameter of the hole where the fan blades are found. Not the outer edges of the thing.
    - Damien

Comment

Yessir, a hole saw on a good drill does a real nifty job. But a good hole saw is pricey, and a cheaper quality one doesn't last very long.
      A lot of folks use a jig saw with good results.
      I personally like the Dremel too. Quick and accurate with a lot of other uses too.
      Whatever you choose, be sure to use proper safety precautions.

of course, there's nibblers too - but they seem a mite tedious to me
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

well i used a Dremel 4 the case fans ( metal ) and a router 4 the window, i had a perfect round hole .......mind u i have still got all the attchments 4 the router other wise i would use a gigsaw with a blade that has got as many teeth as u can find ;)

Comment

I'm a jigsaw and 32tpi blade man myself as dodgin' pieces of Dremel disks isn't fun in my books. :devil win
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I too use a jig saw - I have never tried to cut the whole hole with a dremmel - but i cant imagine it woudl be too much fun. I use my dremmel at the end patching up any imperfections in my sawing.

Comment

jigsaw for blowholes for fans and a rotary tool for other cuts
              :cheers:

Comment

By far the best and neetest looking way to make a hole is with a hole saw....

THere are two kinds and they both go on a drill. The black ones are only good for wood and are usually used for putting holes in doors for door handles and such .... what you need is a White one. If all else fails ask the handy man in your local hardware store for a hole saw that can cut threw metal. If you try using a black or other not intended for cutting metal hole saw you will at best make a messy hole. :hammer: Always use the right tool for the Job. It will do it faster and better. and you may eaven be prowd of the results. :thumb:

Comment

hmmmmmmmm ..............dont like using them cause if u have marked it out a nats **** out of place and u allready started cutting u cant do anything about it if u on about the thing i think u are.......drill in the middle 2 give it i pilot hole and u norm got about 10 diff sizes of cutters u can fit in2 it ??? ..........but anyhow as long as u get a good result with what ever tool u use 4 the job it dont matter :)

Comment

I wonder what baritb ever used they just ask a question and forget there is a Tweaktown forum after...:confused:
                    - Damien

Comment

I used one of those big white drill bits with all the crazy jagged teeth and it worked pretty well...I'll post pictures as soon as I find my camera...:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                      X