Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will AMD Hammer CPUs fit into current mobos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will AMD Hammer CPUs fit into current mobos?

Just wondering because I just got a new one to support Athlon XPs. Will I need to upgrade again to goto a Hammer CPU or could it work with a BIOS flash? :?:

Or is it a different socket configuration?

The socket remains the same but chipset compatability is the real question that hasn't been answered yet. :smokin:
    <center> </center>

Comment

Probably need bios updates like the XPs.

Comment

That's a neat sig Milenko:thumb:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I can't see the Clawhammer working with current chipsets since it will be based on a new architecture w/64bit instruction suport

But there's still the Thoroughbread and Barton .13um cores to work through before we'll see any Hammers

Comment

Comment

although the clawhammer will be based on new 64 bit technology it says that it will be backwards compatible to work with existing x86 archtectures.. Given that I would think that a simple BIOs flash would be all that is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
                although the clawhammer will be based on new 64 bit technology it says that it will be backwards compatible to work with existing x86 archtectures.. Given that I would think that a simple BIOs flash would be all that is needed.
                but if more than 462 pins are required in the proc. to support the 64 bit instructions - i'll be a tight fit in an s462 mainboard :hammer:

This isn't just a die shrink - it's a new architecture - AMD's website says a new socket is forthcoming

Comment

When will te new processor be introduced?

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z

What they're talking about is the fact that the new processor will still be compatible with existing hardware components and programs/operating systems. A simple BIOS FLASH won't do the trick because a new socket design will be necessary.
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

unless of course you find a bios flash that modifies the socket and chipset whilst its going at it!

Comment

Methinks that the Hammer will require a serious redesign in board technology - it's not just an evolutionary step (eg Thunderbird to Palomino), but a very revolutionary one :)
                        What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by Albinus
                          Methinks that the Hammer will require a serious redesign in board technology - it's not just an evolutionary step (eg Thunderbird to Palomino), but a very revolutionary one :)

My thinking exactly.......

Comment

A 64 bit processor, has major differences compared to a 32 bit one....For instance, 64 bit wide data bus....Therefore, unless you want to have multiplexed signals (which is not very good), you want 32 more pins for the data bus.....(without taking into account other things you may need). That alone, makes the slot less likely to be kept the same....

The second thing, is the chipset, which will also have to be designed to support the CPU....Current chipsets are designed for 32-bit processors....

The compatibility with current architectures, simply means hammer will use PC hardware and will be able to run programs designed for the 8/16/32 bit x86 processors .

Comment

I would have to agree with Orestis. A new mobo will be required for a hammer proc. It may even need newer RAM because in nine monthes when it does come out, the DDR standard will have already moved to DDR333 and DDR400. If not QDR.

It would be very cool thou if you could use a Socket 462 to run a Hammer in only 32-bit mode. As to be upgrade friendly. It wouldn't support anything 64-bit and of course would get a major performace hit. Just changeup the mobo and you've almost double proc performance. That would be a very market savvy thing for AMD to do. But we know that is near impossible and most unlikely.

What im wondering is if they are going to change socket format for the hammer are they going to do the same for the XP/Duron lines too? Or are they going to actually have two different socket formats in between the processors? Sounds like an Intel move...

Comment

Working...
                              X