FSB 266 or 333?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FSB 266 or 333?

I'm going to get myself a brand-new Athlon XP 2000+ cpu, but I don't know how to find out if it's 266MHz FSB or 333MHz, is there anyway to find out? I've looked through the little booklet that it comes with (not OEM) and the writing on the chip, but it doesn't say anything at all about the FSB.

Can someone help me please?

Thanx for any replies :D

think the lowest 333Mhz fsb athlons are 2600+ and they come in both 266 and 333 variants.. they usually say on webshops and such.

Comment

The 2600+ w/ 333MHz FSB is the first of the faster units with all other AthlonXP's below this speed being 266MHz FSB units. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Didn't know that, you learn something new everyday :) ThanX.

So, now I know that my XP CPU can only do 266.... What's the highest someone has overclocked the FSB with a 2000+ XP CPU?! :D

I can't stand not having at least everything in my computer overclocked :p .

Comment

By unlockin' the CPU and lowering the multiplier on a mobo that supports the 166MHz AGP/PCI dividers then you'll get extra performance from it. XP2000+'s generally get into the XP2200+ - XP2300+ range fairly easily with the right hardware. :devil win
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Depends on the core. If its an old 2000+, it may be an AGOGA core, and by the time those cores got to 1.66, they had really hit their peak. You wont really get much more than 1.7 out of it. If its an AGOIA (especially an early-week Y) then you can happily do 1.9 with it. My 2000+ AGOIA Y (week 23 :( ) can do about 1.89 (210*9) stable, 1.9V, but it generates a lot of heat. You will want to hope your cooling is up to the task :)

~Deke

Comment

Well, I'm getting a Volcano 7+ for XmaS *as I researched as being the best for it's money* but I don't know when my CPU was made, or if it is an old AGOGA core, new, or whatever, I don't really know that much about it really, it's pretty new to me but I can understand what you're talking about.

Is there anyway of finding out what my CPU is?

And also, if you overclock the FSB to about 145MHz, will it eventually fall-over on my new 2000+ CPU or Soltek SL-75FRV as it did on my very old 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird (Supporting FSB of 100/133/166)?

ThanX :thumb:

Comment

Unlock it. You're wasting your time trying to overclock unless you do.

But, alas, if you dont want to do that, then yes, you can FSB-overclock it. Mine did about 143 stable before it started to fall over.

To find out the stepping of your chip, pull off the heatsink.

That one there is an AGOGA as you can see from the writing on the core.

Next item, regarding the cooling, a Volcano 7+ isnt the best cooler available. It is a budget solution, not really designed for overclocking in AU's hot climate. There are better, albeit it more expensive options available (AX-7, SK7 etc).

~Deke

Comment

Heh, when I ment fall-over, I ment that the motherboard and CPU went because of the high FSB (being 145MHz on linear stepping) my old board and CPU being 1.4GHz Athlon Tbird + Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, parts on the CPU just fell off, like someone filed it.

I'll show you where it just fell apart on that pic that you posted above...

What I'm asking is, is that will THAT happen on my 2000+ XP chip?

(Note: keeping in mind that the old Tbird's chip was a diffrent shape)

Comment

Oh, and a comment on the Volcano 7+ HSF, it's much better than compared to the one that is given to you in the non-OEM version of the 2000+ XP CPU, it's not copper, the fins aren't as tall, and the fan isn't as powerful, so a Volcano 7+ is a good idea for moderate overclocking of the chip (rather than water cooling, which isn't in my price-range).

Comment

You chipped your core. You need to be much more careful when removing or installing your heatsink or it will happen to your 2000+. It has nothing to do with your overclocking attempts.

As for the Volcano 7+, yes it is better than the default AMD sink, but that is because the default AMD sinks are the cheapest and crappiest sinks available. The Volcano 7+ will hold up to SOME of your overclocking, but as soon as you get either a hot day, or try to push the overclock particularly far, you will run into thermal problems. Like I said, there are much better AIR-based solutions available.

~Deke

Comment

Working...
                      X