Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giving an old mac net access

go day all,

i have a old 575 mhz macintosh with mac os 8.1 installed.

i was wondering if there was an easy way to use my pc as a server to give this mac internet access?

my dad has said i need a appletalk ethernet bridge and an ethernet cable. i have looked around the net for the bridge and have not been able to locate one.

my pc is connected to the internet by a home lan, the lan is connected to this machine by a linksys homelink phoneline network card.

my pc also has a lucent win modem card as well. the mac has a dailup modem.

is there a way i can connect both these computers up to make a simple network between the pc an the mac?

thanks for taking the time to read my little note.

jb [email protected]

i suggest you ask about appletalk or whatever... in the linux forum.. a solution may present itself... maybe even putting linux for PPCs on the mac?
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Just a suggestion, not sure if it will work or not... Network the two computers using TCP/IP, put some form of internet sharing on the PC (whether it be in Linux or Win98SE/2000/XP).. then just set the PC IP address as the gateway for the mac... could work... appletalk isn't gonna help you at all...

Here at work we have a bunch of apples sitting in the corner, networked to our Novell proxy server, which dishes the Internet to the whole building, both PC's and Macs, so there is no different set-up needed to get a Mac to connect to the net than a PC..

Comment

good point beefy,
        I was going to suggest the same thing as we have macs at work also connected to a Unix gateway serving internet to PC's, Mac's, Linux, Unix

Comment

just as long as there is a proper hardware/software router in place, it should be fine (using tcpip)

Comment

of course the fact he is using phoneline networking probably doesnt help...

appletalk is onlky needed for file sharing.
            SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
            Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Comment

Working...
            X