PDA

View Full Version : What Browser???

Oldbugger
11-23-2002, 06:45 AM
I'm using Opera 6.1....fantastic...font rendering is much better than Mozilla....and Evolution as an email/management client is really good....

What's everyone using??

PrairieDawg
11-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Well I guess this makes at least two of us using Opera (6.05 here)! Not sure what the prob was with my I.E. but it was freezing up on a regular basis. I went on a search a couple of months ago and decided it was easier to use Opera than try and kill what ever bug had attacked I.E.

So far I am very happy with Opera: it works faster and smoother than I.E. ever did and it has more "bells and whistles". Not sure why, but I still have trouble with some javascript but I can usually work around that.

I recently had someone tell me that I should try Incredimail as an email program but have so far had no probs with Outlook so I'll prolly stick with that for now.

Bahamut Zer0
11-24-2002, 07:48 AM
Im using Phoenix (lightweight version of mozilla) as mozilla takes a good 20secs to load on both windows and linux. (longer on linux funnily enough) wtf is up with that crap eh?

Havnt tried opera since, ****, back in the early days of its introduction. Didnt like it much, ill have to give the new version a go.
Cant get evolution 1.2 working in dropline, but its what id like to use. :)

Ash
11-24-2002, 12:03 PM
the new opera is great, use it on my linux and my Xp partitions, the less M$ the better :)

Grim Reaper
11-24-2002, 09:35 PM
my vote for Opera too :)

i don't know why people stand by mozilla so much, coz IMHO opera looks heaps better and has more features :)

Bern
11-24-2002, 11:27 PM
I have mozilla, phoenix, opera, lynx, links and konqueror (kde-3.1 version), most of the time I use konqeror.
You can get good fonts in mozilla, it takes abit of work and the latest versions of freetype and fontconfig.

Webgraph
11-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Usually, Konqueror is the fastest when loading sites, but it doesn't have that good text quality. Mozilla's text quality in Linux is exactly the same as in Windows Also, Mozilla is fairly fast with loading times, both initial and page loading.

So therefore, Mozilla is my choice when it comes to quality.

Bern
11-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Webgraph
[B]Usually, Konqueror is the fastest when loading sites, but it doesn't have that good text quality.

Really?
How do you explain this (http://p-two.net/kde-3.1b2/konq-tab-web-browsing.png) screen shot?
Maybe you just don't know how to set up your fonts.

Webgraph
12-21-2002, 11:59 PM
The text can still be legible, but only Mozilla can display text the same way as Windows browsers view it, fontwise. Opera 6.11 is in the same situation.

Jes_Hall
12-28-2002, 08:06 PM
PrairieDawg :

DONT use Incredimail. Just don't. For a laugh, download it and then check out it's EULA. It's gotta be one of the more invasive one's I've ever seen. I spent AGES cleaning out my friends system after she installed it... it wasn't pretty. Anyway, that was totally off the topic.........

PrairieDawg
12-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Thanks Jes. Actually I had already noticed that ever time I recieved a message from some one with incredimail that my Opera complained about it trying to set "illegal cookies". Not real sure what an "illegal cookie" is but I assume that incredimail is keeping track of those who receive messages through its system as well as those who are actually using the service. Nice thing about Opera ... I can refuse those cookies on a per case situation and see who sends em!

JediAgent
12-31-2002, 01:57 AM
Konqueror v3.0.3
Atleast thats what Help>About Konqueror says... also says im using the same version KDE. Just finished installing Red Hat yesterday, so its prolly very obvious i know nothing yet. Working on it, thou...

So, Bern, How do you make your Konq look that good?

Bern
12-31-2002, 06:49 AM
I'm using konq-3.1.0 from the kde of the same version :-)

dirtydog
01-01-2003, 03:27 AM
Mozilla 1.1 :thumb:

Webgraph
01-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Mozilla 1.1 :thumb:

You're backwards! 1.3 Alpha is the latest release and 1.2.1 is the latest stable release.

Wiggo
01-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Webby[/color]]
You're backwards! Didn't we point this out to someone before? :?:

Now be nice Webby or the :hammer: may fall yet again. :devil win

who knows? he maybe rabid :laugh:
<center>:cheers:</center>

dirtydog
01-03-2003, 04:41 PM
You're backwards! 1.3 Alpha is the latest release and 1.2.1 is the latest stable release.

I think the question was what browser do you use . Not what browser is the latest and greastest. :rolleyes:

JediAgent
01-04-2003, 03:36 AM
.... ? How does a post about Mozilla 1.1 warrant a disagreeing post about 1.3 Alpha and 1.2.1? If im not missing anything here, please refer to sig... name #2.

dirtydog
01-04-2003, 04:49 AM
It's been a while since I've used Opera. But with all the postitive comments I think I'll download it and try it again.Looks like the newest version is 6.11 :beer:

Fallen deity
01-18-2003, 09:53 PM
No love for Galeon! :(

Man, it's a tough decision. Konqueror, Galeon, Phoenix..mmf. I love em all. Probably Konqueror the most... Since I love KDE :D

By the way, slightly off topic, anyone try K-Meleon? It's a superlight Windows browser with the Gecko engine.

Webgraph
07-11-2003, 12:25 AM
I think the question was what browser do you use . Not what browser is the latest and greastest. :rolleyes:

Wiggo and dirtydog , it was nothing to be provoked about! Can't you people handle the odd backstab laughter? :P Then again, there are times when we do prefer older software! So if this has offended you, I apologize.

Doctor Kipkip
08-08-2003, 10:06 PM
:afro: yo! sup. i suppose using other mail proggies than outlook is still out of the question. but i might have few suggestions if not one. how about you try Eudora, their latest offering is outstanding although i doesnt have features as much as outlook does, it sure does the work right. Look here its easier for you to track down where the mail came from using Eudora blah blah blah features...enough about that.

If you got more quizzies jus let the Doc know where it hurts the most.
Who the heck said you caint have your damn cake and eat it...of course you can dammit, you baked it

Blueyes
08-08-2003, 10:39 PM
I use IE at work :rolleyes:

but use Opera 7.11 at home :D

As for that outlook mail substitution..I'm looking into it and found Netmail and/or Mailcommander...gonna see what those're like and if I like it I might use it.

amd_man2005
08-08-2003, 10:40 PM
I use Mozilla Firebird 0.6.1 and after I switch from IE, im NEVER going back.

minibubba
08-08-2003, 10:41 PM
since this has been drug up from the abyss, I'll throw in my :2cents: ...

Firebird 0.61 (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/) and Thunderbird 0.1 (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/) ...direct decendents of the Mozilla Suite ;)

:cheers:

asklepios
08-08-2003, 11:00 PM
being on linux my favs would be firebird and evolution (http://www.ximian.com/products/evolution/)