Can you play games on linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you play games on linux

Can u play games on linux like UT2003 or Neverwinter Nights?

Its up to the game developer to release a linux binary for their games. UT2003 supports such a binary out-of-the-box. So slap the cd in, run the installer and away you go. Linux has no DirectX support however, (it can be emulated, but its not that terribly quick) but supports OpenGL fine. Detonator drivers for nVidia cards fall under nVidia's unified driver package, so you will have full Geforce support and OpenGL extentions. Popular games such as Quake3 Arena (including many of its mods and games based on the same engine) work under linux, Unreal Tournament/UT2k3 fully work, as do numerous others. A good place to check is linuxcompatible.com

Comment

That website doesnt work...

Comment

Doesn't work here either. :?:

Comment

Try Linux Games and Happy Penguin for linux games/info.
          p-two.net

Comment

I heard of RTCW, Quake III, Doom, and UT2003 being directly available for Linux, but I don't know where to buy them. Anyone know where I can buy them?

Comment

If you have brought the 'windows' version, then all you need do is download the latest full patch for linux and run it. Drop your cd in and away you go. Example- download the 1.3x full patch for q3a, run it, and put your q3a cd in. The linux installer will read the needed files off the 'windows' q3a cd and away you go.

Some games (such as RtCW) need some extra steps. The sites Bern linked to will explain in detail. AFAIK the UT2003 cds come with a linux installer. You do not need to buy a seperate boxed edition.

Comment

The other way is to head on down to transgamings website and grab a copy of WineX, which allows you to run direct x games on Linux.... apparently they've had a great deal of success with most popular games. Can't get the damn thing to work myself... maybe you'll have better luck. :) I know that Diablo 2 LOD works pretty well, and Warcraft 3 works but is a bit slow... don't know about Neverwinter nights, but there is a compatibility list on their site you can check.

Comment

Working...
                X