Shuttle AV40R Thermal Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle AV40R Thermal Sensor

How does one get a reliable reading on this motherboard???

I tried MBM 5 - and the pic below is what the temperatures are coming up as. Is this a faulty sensor chip? And what's more, it also detects the thermal monitor as a SiS950. But hang on - it's a VIA P4X266 chipset!!! WTF is going on here??? :confused:

Even SiSoft Sandra is coming up with bizarre temperatures - so what gives? Any help would be appreciated (I'm reviewing this board)

Thanks Guys :)
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Well if Shuttle don't have their own software for monitorin' and John Gatt hasn't shown up yet I'd suggest goin' over to the VIA Hardware forum where he usually hangs and post it and see what happens. :confused:

Comment

Well I found the utility on Jetway's site, and it is attached below. It seems to be reading correctly, but I am rather worried about the CPU temperature. This pic below was taken under full load, running UD. Is this OK?

And here is the heatsink I'm reviewing. The temperature is taken by a thermal diode under the socket, I bent it up so that it makes contact with the base of the Pentium 4. As you can see by the case temperature of 35 degrees, my case is well cooled (with 4 hard drives in it)

Any help is always appreciated :)

Albinus.

(p.s. - if I don't make sense it's because I just got back from Armidale and am very :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Comment

Gee that's a bit on the warm side even though they do run hotter than a PIII. :eek:
        <center></center>

Comment

I just spoke with Cameron "Sov" Johnson, and he said that is a normal temperature for a Pentium 4 under full load. It is actually reading off the internal thermal diode inside the CPU, and can safely get above 80 degrees before the clock throttling kicks in. So I'll just have to wait and see..... :toung:

Comment

Well it's hotter than when the first temperature was taken, so here's another pic with a Y.S. Tech 7000RPM fan strapped to the same heatsink. Just remember the ambient temperature is about 4 degrees higher.

Comment

Now that's a bit better. ;)

Comment

Working...
              X