Hi guys just got in my new equipment. Not all is here yet this is the list:
    (2)512mb Sticks PC133 generic SDRAM-NOT IN :confused:
    (1)AMD XP 1800CPU-GOT IN :D
    (1)PCI Memory cooler kit-GOT IN
    (1)MSI Dragon 48x16x48 CD-R Drive-NOT IN
    (1) Thermaltake Volcano 7(not plus):snip: -NOT IN
    (1)Silver compound grease-Bought local
    (1)HD cooler Kit-GOT IN :p
    In Advance I need to find out how to install the new CPU and Heatsink+fan. And also if my PC board is compatible with all my new found memory!! :geek:
    Trying to see my 3D MARKS score soar to the roof!! And My gaming improve!!

Just in case noone has given you any ideas on how to install your CPU, thought I'd chime in as I recently installed a couple Athlons myself. When your looking at the empty socket on your board, on one side of it there's a little plastic lever- you'll need to pull sideways( just a tiny bit) then swing it upward. Next, look at your CPU- 2 corners of it are missing a pin. You'll notice that on 2 corners of the socket, there's a hole missing- line the CPU up with those and it should slide in with no pressure. Then lower the handle.
    You can apply a little thermal grease onto the Processor, or on the bottom of the heatsink( not sure if it makes a diff). Now, looking at your heatsink, it has a clip running through it, and one end of the clip has a little metal sticking out- big enough to slip a small flat headed screwdriver into. You have to slide the other end of the clip over the little socket tab, then apply pressure with a screwdriver to get the other end on. BE VERY CAREFULL. I'm sure this can't be the best way, but it's how I did it and it worked out allright. Also, you may have to remove the fan from the heatsink in order to have room to work- don't worry it goes back ?)on pretty easy(did I mention I also use the Volcano 7?) It's all kinda a pain, but dooable. Good luck.

Comment

Your motherboard manual should have a "How to Installation Guide" in it and if ya don't have one then download one from their website. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Comment

If it has those lines thru all the L1 bridges then it's locked (which is extremely likely). ;)

Comment

I'm clueless as to tweaking Athlon, but thought I'd mention that you shouldn't worry- my Athlon system runs beautifully compared to the P4 1.5 system on my "other" desk. You may want to tweak your video card though- download "coolbits" and try that out( as long as you keep the card cooled).

Comment

I did a review a while back of the HighSpeed PC Athlon XP Unlocking Kit and you might find the pictures included helpful in figuring out if your processor is inlocked or not. If it is based on the Palomino core, then it is likely locked. If it is based on the Thoroughbred design, then I have heard of some folks getting unlocked processors from the factory.

Basically, if your processor bridges look like the ones pictured in the review, then you have the Palomino variety. The kit reviewed is also a very good way to unlock your processor as well. I still use this kit to unlock Palomino based processors since it is pretty easy and gives you the chance to redo your work if you screw it up.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

it's locked . That is just the valleys between them. Is it really worth it to unlock the CPU ?? What benifits come out of it ? I want better performance always but what is the cost of it ??:confused:

Comment

I'm really not sure how far ya'll get either way with the KT133 based mobo in ya sig. These were poor overclockers at best. :?:

Plus SDRAM just doesn't cut it these days. :(

Comment

Ahhh... I didn't notice the motherboard.

Wiggo is 100% correct. Your KT133 chipset was about the worst in terms of overclocking potential that I can remember for some time back. But in your case, you will get even more benefit out of unlocking the multiplier; especially if you are in a position where you can't get a new mainboard soon.

The KT133 chipsets will generally top out at about 112-115MHz FSB setting. Anything higher and you'll not be able to load Windows. A few boards will be different in this aspect, but very few. Since you are so limited in your FSB overclocking, the multiplier may be just the ticket to get a little extra life out of your system.

I am curious, however, that you are running a processor with native 133MHz FSB speeds on a board that struggles with this type of FSB setting. If you are getting your board to even POST at the 133MHz speed, then you have a rare find indeed. ;)
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Working...
                    X