Random Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Issues

I've been having some difficulties with my setup for a while. I think it has something to do with Explorer corruption or something. Anyways, I'll go ahead and list my setup to give some background info:

1 gHz AMD Athlon
    384 MB RAM (PC133, i think)
    2 40 Gig Hard Drives
    ASUS 8x DVD-ROM
    PlexWriter 8/4/32
    SoundBlaster Live! Value
    ATI Radeon 7200
    10 MB Ethernet Card
    1394 Firewire Card
    Windows XP.....and various other programs

Anyways, I had some concerns about the older version (2.0) of KaZaa conflicting with Internet Explorer. Everytime I had both open at the same time, it froze. Since I've upgraded to the new KaZaa and the Win XP Service Pack 1, I haven't had any problems......yet.

The main concern I have regards my DVD-ROM drive though. In the Device Manager, it recognizes the drive and verifes that it is working properly, but none of CD Burning/Ripping Utilities recognize it. When I use CDex it gives me an error stating
    "ASPI for Win32 not installed correctly
    ASPI for Win32 not installed correctly"

I have no idea what that means or refers to. I've been looking at tweaks and system checks forever now, and nothing seems to help. I tried to get a new driver at ASUS' website, but it didn't help.

I also get errors saying
    "Unable to establish existence of the account specified. Ensure the account name specified is valid."
    whenever I try and setup any scheduled tasks. The tasks haven't worked yet, and I hope to find some helpful advice.

Thanks for help, and if anything sounds weird, it might also be due to my "not-so-legit" software......but who doesn't?

Anyways, thanks for any help, I also have AIM if any techie is willing to help me through instant messaging. Peace.

- Chris

The ASPI error you're receiving refers to a file required by most DVD software programs. I believe Mr. C or Wiggo have given a web address to get the latest version of this, so you might try searching the forums or waiting for one of them to show up and then get the address from them.

As for your burning software not recognizing the DVD drive, first make sure that the drive is supported by the software utility. If so, then it is likely just required to uninstall the burning utility and reinstall it. This will generally force the burning software to reconfigure any drives in your system and set things up properly.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I'm not sure that this is the same link Darthtanion referred to, but if I'm not mistaken Adaptec is the place to get this driver.

It's about 4th from the bottom, 2 versions shown _ I'd definitely start with the newest.

my 2 cents worth;
      Kazaa has built in issues, you might look around. There are applications for that purpose that don't hijack your system in the process.

Not that it's related to the issues you brought up - just that it would be good for the overall health of the system.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hah! Kazaa has issues full stop.

You want to hose ya system slowly (though sometimes quickly) while lettin' anyone know what ya doin' then by all means install it. :thumbs do
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

There ya go... both of them showed up. :D

I have used the "Lite" version of Kazaa without problems, but the regular variety is a known homestead for any number of spyware add-ons that get loaded to your system with no user knowledge. Besides the fact that your browsing activities are monitored, I just don't care for being watched all the time.

You might consider downloading AdAware and see how badly your system has been infected by these unscrupulous utilities.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Thanks for all the help, but yeah, you guys are right about KaZaa, because my comp freezes sometimes when its running, and I can see in the system properties that people are whoring my connection.

Anyways, what are some other good p2p prog's you guys use? I only use KaZaa, because I can usually find rare songs, and download them pretty easily.

As for other KaZaa, I get errors with explorer.exe under the mod name "wbhook32.dll"? Sounds fishy to me, lemme know what you guys think.

BTW, KaZaa is being uninstalled as I type. Thanks

Comment

K, now I can't seem to install the ASPI drivers correctly.........I'm not too experienced with code. I need detailed installation instructions (the readme blows)

Comment

Get some instructions online, a typical uninstall of KaZaa within windows will still leave nasties behind.

I'm not sure how current this link is;
                Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Is there like a system information utility in Windows XP?
                I know in 98 you can use it and I believe under the "software" you can find a list of system hooks.

Lot's of stuff can use system hooks -- both good and bad things.
                Everything from McAfee to keyboard loggers, so begin your investigation there.
                Actually an update of McAfee has been known to cause errors with system hooks from time to time. Why McAfee needs to rmonitor keyboard and mouse usage is a mystery to me??

I probably shouldn't but ---- ahem, WinMX (cough,cough)

Good Luck!
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I guess I was typing while you were posting. Here's install directions for the 4.71 ver.;

Comment

Alright, I've

1. Uninstalled KaZaa
                    2. Ran Ad-Aware 3 times, and deleted all those files
                    3. Installed the ASPI thing just like instructions said

When I try and right click and view my DVD-ROM properties under the system menu, it gives me an error saying
                    "No SCSI host adapters found"
                    Then another message saying Explorer must close.

I dunno what to do now, do any of guys now how to fix?

Comment

Working...
                    X