PDA

View Full Version : Beeeeeeeeeeep!!

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 02:14 AM
This is what I get for being nice to my puter and installing 4 fans :D

when I turn on the power all I get is 1 long beep, over and over.

I have replaced the RAM and tried 3 different video cards, 2 AGP and 1 PCI.

No matter what I do I still just get that beep. I tried taking the RAM and Vid card out. Beep. Tried with RAM in and no vid card, same beep. Tried with Vid card in and no RAM, same beep.

Only thing left I can think of is to clear the CMOS. Any other ideas on how to fix this :?:

GiMP
01-21-2002, 03:02 AM
Well I see you've tried it but, long beeps mean the RAM is loose...

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 03:33 AM
That's what I was thinking, but I've reseated the RAM about 5 times to make sure it's in good.

I even took the one I had back to fry's and got a replacement, just in case I somehow fried it.

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 04:47 AM
I wonder if I somehow fried my first DIMM slot :?:

if so is there a way to force it to ignore slot 1 and look at slot 2?

hbidad
01-21-2002, 06:07 AM
Are you sure you dont have the FSB set to high? maybe you have the bios set to aggresive for the ram chip?

Just a few thoughts

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 06:12 AM
I haven't tweaked my FSB or anything yet

I did run some tests awhile back and it did say that my chipset can't handle the 266 FSB. I ignored it cause I don't see why the hell they'd put a chipset on a mobo that can't handle the FSB the mobo is supposed to have.

Guess I'll reset the cmos and hope for the best.

**crosses fingers**

Wiggo
01-21-2002, 11:16 AM
So ya added 4 new fans to the system? have you disconnected them and tried again? it could be that the fans are suckin' to much power from the PSU and not allowin' enough for the memory. :?:
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 11:43 AM
yah, right now all I have hooked up is the cpu fan, memory, and a vid card

I just reset the CMOS and reseated the RAM one more time

still a no go :cry: :(

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 01:43 PM
ok I unplugged the new CPU fan and now I get a short beep, then the long one again

when it boots normally I ususally hear 3 short beeps :confused:

wuntvor
01-21-2002, 01:55 PM
btw it's a volcano 6Cu+ cpu fan

sKuLLsHoT
01-21-2002, 07:07 PM
so have u got it so that there is enough for the system to boot? a "normal" PST usually reaps one single short beep

if you have RAM, Video, CPU, Heatsink and Power applied to the mobo, all should be good, take all these items out - including the cpu, and reseat them, also hook the cpu fan up to external power only, so that there is nothing extra drawing power for the mobo aux power...

if u still get beeps, sounds like u may wanna try another stick of ram, or cpu

wuntvor
01-22-2002, 07:01 AM
I have reseated everything several times - except the CPU, I just reseated that once.

I guess I'll put the old CPU fan back on to see if that's what's causing it .

If not then I guess I'm stuck buyin a new CPU or mobo

Thanx for the help all

sKuLLsHoT
01-22-2002, 10:40 AM
after seeing the volcano myself....is it possible that you have crushed ya core?

have u tried just havin your ram in slot 2 and booting or slot 3 only? with different stix o ram...

wuntvor
01-22-2002, 11:02 AM
hmm any way I could tell if I crushed the core? would it be visibly obvious?

I did try booting with the RAM in slot 3, but not 2 yet. And did try 2 different sticks, one of them is brand new.

Wiggo
01-22-2002, 12:39 PM
A crushed core could just be having little chips taken out of the corners of the core to full on cracking. :smokin:
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

wuntvor
01-22-2002, 02:41 PM
ok here's a n00b question :D

by the core you mean the center of the processor right?

so I can get a magnifying glass and take a look...

Wiggo
01-22-2002, 02:50 PM
That's it but usually damage is evident to the naked eye. :thumb:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

wuntvor
01-22-2002, 03:05 PM
bummers

I don't see how I could have cracked it, I was much rougher when I put the first cpu fan on

being the first time I had done it :D

now it takes me a couple seconds to do ;)

Mr. C
01-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Actually damage to the core crossed my mind the other day - was (and still am) hoping that was not the case.

I did get afraid though when you posted you had tried to boot without the HSF being hooked up though. (dude, that T-bird will melt down in heartbeat)

sKuLLsHoT
01-22-2002, 08:27 PM
well if u can't see anythin wrong wif the core, then i'd say try all components on another board :D if that works, get a new mobo/replacement

Beefy
01-23-2002, 04:45 AM
I did get afraid though when you posted you had tried to boot without the HSF being hooked up though. (dude, that T-bird will melt down in heartbeat)

6 seconds... that's how long mine took to fry without the HSF... You might not see any visible scorth marks on it, but if you tried to start it without any cooling on there, then there is a good chance you did kill it... Can you try another CPU in your machine to test?

hbidad
01-23-2002, 05:06 AM
Did you see that video Hardocp made about the CPU temps without the hsf on it?

Beefy
01-23-2002, 05:17 AM
I saw the one that Tom's Hardware did.....

sKuLLsHoT
01-23-2002, 06:11 AM
why do ya needa see a video when u r fullly capable of doing it yourself? ;) Beefy

wuntvor
01-23-2002, 06:30 AM
Actually damage to the core crossed my mind the other day - was (and still am) hoping that was not the case.

I left the HS on I just unplugged the fan ;)

wuntvor
01-23-2002, 06:33 AM
I wish I had another CPU or mobo I could test with, would make this alot easier, I don't wanna go buy a new mobo and find out it's the CPU that's toast, or vice versa....

I'll flip a coin on which to buy and hope for the best ;)

Beefy
01-23-2002, 07:08 AM
why do ya needa see a video when u r fullly capable of doing it yourself? ;) Beefy

Cos the video had smoke and stuff.. mine just had a cool pinging sound effect followed by my swearing.. :)

wuntvor
01-23-2002, 07:35 AM
:laugh: u shoulda taken a video of that :)

Beefy
01-23-2002, 08:47 AM
sorry. i didn't think of that at the time.. I wasn't really expecting my heatsink to fall off when it did.. :)

wuntvor
01-23-2002, 09:46 AM
btw, I did happen to notice that I can wiggle the HS while it's mounted on the CPU

I should not be able to do that, should I :?:

Beefy
01-23-2002, 09:51 AM
depends on how much of a wiggle there is, but it's not a good thing in either case...