No announcement yet.

brand new cold cathode already broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new cold cathode already broken?

Today i turn on my computer and when i turned on my dual cold cathodes only 1 berly worked and other didnt work completely.

I got these uv reaction cold cathodes from coolersguy.com 3 days ago. Cant believe this happened so soon.

Do you have enough power for the lights and the rest of the system?

Comment

I have a 300watt Sparkle power supply.

system specs
      BIOSTAR m7vkd
      1.1ghz t-bird
      512 SDRAM
      2 40 gig Hard Drives.
      Pioneer DVD rom
      Plextor CDRw drive
      Geforce2 GTS 64mb
      SB live! x-gamer 5.1
      Linksys network card
      Microsoft explorer OPTICAL
      Microsoft Internet keyboard
      Samsung SyncMaster 151s monitor
      Midiland 400watt speaker system.
      dual cold cathodes
      2 80mm clear with blue leds case fans
      3 40mm HD cooler fans
      1 60mm case fan
      WindowsXP Pro

Comment

You may be pushing the limit of your psu. That's quite a lot of gear for a 300w unit. How tight are the voltage specs on the lights? Is your 12v output in line with it when running the lights too?

Comment

I just ordered a cathode. Are they that fragile?

Comment

Ok, here's the deal, I just recently added 2 cold cathode green lights to my case, and my computer works great and looks great!
            Now, I just added copper heatsink with an 80mm fan adapter and a 80mm fan with 2 blue LEDs and 2 red LEDs on it...I have a 300 Watt PSU and when I power up my computer with that setup, it first turns on with a single, short system beep followed shortly by a long system beep, then shuts itself off. :cry:

I have tried several ways of plugging my fans lights and drives in, but that didn't work. I also tried buying a 480 Watt PSU and it did the same system beeps, so I have come to the weary conclusion that my processor isn't getting the right amount of voltage? I do not know.. :confused:

I could certainly use some help on this, and any given is greatly appreciated.

My setup:
            Soyo Dragon Plus (VIA KT266A ATX)
            AMD Athlon XP 1800+
            512 MB DDR PC2100
            1 x 80mm case fan
            1 x 20mm chipset fan
            1x 60mm (give or take) CPU fan
            2 x Green Cold Cathode Lights
            GeForce3 Ti-500 Video Card
            40 GB IBM Deskstar 7200RPM
            1 x 1.44 FDD
            1 x CD-R Drive
            1 x DVD Drive

Thanks again for any help

Comment

Do ya have switches for the lights so that they can be turned on after the PC has booted? Also is the HSF fitted properly and is the fan being monitored by the motherboard and I surely hope that ya not powering any fans off the motherboard. :?:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yes I have two switches for my cathode lights even though I wanted to splice them and use one switch... My new 80mm fan has four led lights on it and obviously doesn't have a switch.

I have all my fans powered by my motherboard..I only have one plug adapter for hooking my CPU fan to the PSU. I could try to get more adapters, but I live out in the boonies and I already took a trip to the closest computer warehouse/retailer today which is about 20 miles away.

I really don't think it matters that my other fans are plugged into the motherboard, but I could be wrong. I tried plugging the new 80mm fan to the PSU but it didnt make any difference and didn't seem to help nor hurt it.

The HSF (I assume you mean Heat-Sink Fan) was on properly and I even replaced the thermal compound a few days ago which helped my old Heat-Sink disperse the heat a little more (by 2 degrees)

I have included a snapshot of my system voltage/temperature

Comment

Well until ya get some more adaptors I wouldn't fire it up again or ya just may burn the mobo out. ;)

It's obvious though that the fans are suckin' to much power from the motherboard. :)
                  <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

okay, i'll do that...thanks for the advice...I will most likely get back to this thread within a couple days :wave:

Comment

Working...
                    X