Administrator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator

Ok, on my log in menu on Windows XP, I push Control + Alt + Delete. I type in administrator for the name, and I don't put a password in because I never set a password. But it says "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction."

How do I get around this? Or is my main name the administrator? I was doing a tweak off of tweakxp.com, but you have to be signed in under administrator. I tried it signed in under my name, but I can't get anywhere.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also here is the tweak I wanted to do.

You can't just set your name to "Administrator" - that's the account limitation referring to. Administrator is a type of account. Follow my WinXP Guide (Reformat to RElax - sticky at top).
    My Machine

Comment

Actually, that's not entirely true. There already is an administrator account, which you have to provide the password when you installed XP. However, there should also be another account created at start up where you specify your user name. This is the account that will normally be used.

You are right in pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL though. That brings up the classic login screen, where you enter your name and password. The Fast Login screen that XP gives you by default doesn't give you this option.

Best way to check things out is to simply log on as you normally. Check out the user settings in control panel and see what the actual administrator name is. You may even be able to set a new password.

All that being said, chances are that your account that you use would have admin rights anyway, so just try the tweak logged on as yourself. The first user created in the XP install by default gets admin rights.

Comment

there are just two q's that u have to answer before u can get around this probs...cos if u don't have password for ur admin account or your own account enabled as an admin one then u r in for a trouble
        your administrator account seems to be password protected. did u prepare a password reset disk for the account? (cos u don't remember the password i suppose)
        is your account type against your name in control panel-->user accounts, an adminitrator type?

if answer to both of them is a big "No", then the only thing u can do is to hope that someone tells u the password of your admin account or the person who installed XP for you remembers the password of admin on your machine.
        while if you answer "Yes" to any one of the above...u r in luck. either reset the password with the help of the reset disk for ur admin or just use ur own account cos buddy...u r ur own admin!
        good luck!
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

My name is under Administrator, but so are a couple other names on my computer. But I also notice that when I am under my name, and press Control+Alt+Delete, there are a bunch of programs that are running, and under user name they say System, and none of the other user names say this on the computer when you press Control+Alt+Delete. So would that mean I am the main Administrator?

If I am the main administrator, then why won't the tweak above work? Has anyone else tried it?

Comment

i tried the tweak with my own account which is of adminitrator type...and it didn't gave any probs. the tip is not correctly mentioned on its part to say that it will not work on any account with administrator priviliges.
            did you try the tip on your account...if yes...then wat were the errors that u experienced?
            if u haven't tried it yet...try it on your account and it will work fine!
            Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
            Last Updated:
            10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
            ======================
            jabber : [email protected]
            =======================
            Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
            yabaa dabaa doo...
            Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I tried it, but didn't work. When I have to run the program, I says that it doesn't exist.

Do you have XP home or professional?

Comment

Working...
              X