Homeade Refrigerated Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeade Refrigerated Computer

OK guys... You may think that I am crazy after this but I am planning to buy one of those $70 mini refrigerators from Wall-Mart and turn it into a pc case.. To battle the condensation that takes place inside I am going to by one of those vacuum packagers and completely vacuum pack the board, harddrives, ect to be free of any air and further more make them condensation free. The only thing I have yet to work out though is the cords. I am not sure how to get the cords out of the plastic and retain the vacuum within the plastic. I need as many suggestions as possible before I acctually go through with this so let me know... Any comments, suggstions, ect would be greatly apprietiated!!!

Thanks,
    Ryan

: party ha

Hate to tell you, but thats highly unlikly to ever work.
    If your going to by a bar fridge use it so you don't have to get up to get a drink

Comment

The cpu will burn a hole in the vacuumed plastic before the fridge even starts cooling stuff. How about just routing the source of air your CPU HSF uses from the fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by AMD2NR
        To battle the condensation that takes place inside I am going to by one of those vacuum packagers and completely vacuum pack the board, harddrives, ect to be free of any air and further more make them condensation free.
        I wouldn't Vacuum pack the boards, I would just keep a big (120mm) fan blowing on the boards. the heat from the boards and the air movement should keep you happy and dry.

I can't wait to see some pictures. Make sure and keep the beer away from the mobo, the bottlecap could short something out.

-Buggzz

Comment

Ok guys..... Thanks for the replys..

So if I don't vacuum pack the board with plastic what do you think I should do to deal with the high condensation levels inside of a refrigerator?? That is a definent consideration.... If they get too high they could short out the whole system... (Or gathering what buggz said... Do I even need to worry about condensation?)

The next consideration is, will the cpu even get warm enough with an HF still on it to burn through the plastic?? Obiously I will let the fridge cool the board for a day or two before lighting up the system... So I dont really think that the chip wouldeven ever get warm enough to burn the plastic...

I am going to start this project in January some time so keep the feedback rollin' guys... It's much apprietiated, negative or positive....

:thumb:

Comment

Do you guys think I should cover the board at all?? Or just basically set up everything right inside the fridge??

Pic of the stylish black fridge I plan to use...

Comment

A good sized fluid container in there for the watercooling setup maybe ok. :?:

doesn't look like it would hold near enough beer though :(
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

umm...condenstation huh?

i guess you could buy one of them "Frost Free" fridges :)

or you could try really dropping the temperature, there fore any stray water drops would just ice up, and just give your cpu one of those drink-umbrellas to keep it dry :afro:

Comment

Originally posted by reebz
                  umm...condenstation huh?

i guess you could buy one of them "Frost Free" fridges :)

or you could try really dropping the temperature, there fore any stray water drops would just ice up, and just give your cpu one of those drink-umbrellas to keep it dry :afro:
                  I still don't think you will have a condensation problem. when was the last time you reached into a fridge and got a dripping wet beer. Cans and bottles are cooler than the dewpoint of the surrounding air = condensation. The Mobo and drives will be the warmest thing in the fridge. you will not have a prolem with condensation. However, you will have to keep an eye out for frost forming on the inside of the fridge.

I would say keep some airspace on all sides of the motherboard and you will be golden.

Comment

You do have a point... There is a small amount of condensation though even on cans and what not in the fridge though... The next time you are in the fridge you will notice...

Like you said though with the fans constantly blowing over the board and with a HSF (LOL keep the processor extra coooold!!!) I dont think condensation will be able to form...

I am sooo mad... Found out my wifes mom just got rid of a mini fridge from her bank for $30.... So typical!!! :laugh: Thats all I need to get this project rollin'....

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      doesn't look like it would hold near enough beer though:(
                      Ahh, but wouldn't the heat being generated by the system warm up the beer ? :cry:
                      Never fear, BEER is here.... :thumb:
                      SPAM Special Ops

Comment

why not get one of the Subzero friges and that way there is no condensation??
                        just my 2 cents

Comment

Sorry guys but if was to leave standard air coolin' then this is the only thing atm that I'd go to. :devil:

Comment

Its nice Wiggo but way too expensive... I dont have a whole lot of money to spend on it... Besides... Mine is going to cool not only the cpu but the video card, memory, ect also.... This way I can overclock everything, not just the cpu...

So where can I find a sub-zero refridgerator? I ran a search and only came up with parts for them... Also, do they make mini ones because that is integral.. I cant be using mass electricity for my PC.. LOL

Comment

Should be starting my project by Thursday or so... For now I am only going to use one of my 3 systems which is just an old 450mhz k6-2 i have sittin around the house... I want to know for once and all if this will acctually work... If all else fails at least I will have a nice little beer fridge next to my desk!!! :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X