Updating BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating BIOS

Gents, and Ladies, I have an Intel D850GB motherboard. I was checking the Intel site and found the following patches for the BIOS and Drivers for this mobo. Some of these patches are dated after I got my OEM system. I’m not currently experiencing any major problems with my system. Should I update my BIOS with these new patches and if yes how do I do that? Also can I screw my computer up by not installing these patches correctly and if I do (screw it up) how can I go back to the original BIOS (the system did not come with any CD/Floppy for the Mother board). Any and all help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    This is what my BIOS says:
    GB85010A.86A.0060.P13.0105231526
    Does this mean my current version is P13? The ones I saw at the Intel site are P17 and P18. I have downloaded them. They are both EXE files. Do I just execute them to update the BIOS. Also would I need to just run the most current i.e. P18, or do I have to do P17 and then P18. Thanx for any advice. BTW my OS is Win Me.

Title Ver.# Date
    BIOS
    1. Express BIOS [GBAP18EB.EXE] (1272KB) P18 Download 11/11/2002
    Express BIOS Update P18.
    OS: Windows NT* 4.0, Windows* 2000, Windows* 98, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me, Windows* XP Home Edition

2. Express BIOS [GBAP17EB.EXE] (1272KB) P17 Download 10/5/2002
    Express BIOS Update P17 WHQL Certified*.
    OS: Windows NT* 4.0, Windows* 2000, Windows* 98, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me, Windows* XP Home Edition

3. Iflash BIOS [GB-P18.EXE] (785KB) P18 Download 11/11/2001
    Iflash BIOS Update P18.

4. Iflash BIOS [GB-P17.EXE] (785KB) P17 Download 11/5/2001
    Iflash BIOS Update P17 WHQL Certified*.

Driver
    5. Audio ADI 1885 [WDM3030D_SM3.EXE] (24836KB) 5.12.01.3030d_SM3 Download 9/26/2001
    Integrated ADI Audio driver 1885.

6. Basic audio ADI driver [3022.EXE] (5519KB) 5.12.01.3022 Download 1/28/2001
    Integrated Audio ADI driver 1885 (basic).

7. IDE Driver [IAA11_ENU.EXE] (1912KB) 1.1.2053 Download 10/9/2001
    IDE driver - Intel(R) Application Accelerator version 1.1.2053.

8. INF Driver [INFINST_ENU.EXE] (1528KB) 2.60.001 Download 11/13/2000
    INF update driver for the Intel® 82801BA ICH2.
    OS: Windows* 2000, Windows* 98, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me

9. LAN Driver [NEW_INTELLAN50.EXE] (6574KB) 5.0 Download 1/28/2002
    Intel® 82562EM LAN driver.
    OS: Windows NT* 4.0, Windows* 2000, Windows* 98, Windows* 98 SE, Windows* Me

Utilities, Tools and Examples
    10. Intel(R) Active Monitor Utility 1.17
    The Intel® Active Monitor works with specialized sensors to constantly monitor the system's temperatures, power supply voltages, and fan speeds.
    Download File(s): http://intel.com/design/motherbd/active.htm

Results Pages: 1
    :confused:

As a general rule, you don't really need to Flash the BIOS unless you fall into one of these two categories:

- You are having problems which the new revision is designed to fix;

- The new revision adds a feature in which you want to have the ability to use.

If the newer version of the BIOS doesn't answer one of these two needs, then you'll do fine with your existing version.

If you decide to update the BIOS, then you'll want to go to the manufacturer's website and there should be some step-by-step instructions concerning the Flashing of your particular motherboard. It is important to follow these instructions exactly. If you screw up the Flash, you can essentially ruin the motherboard. Sometimes you can get it working again by re-Flashing it again, but this isn't a guarantee.

While Flashing a BIOS is a simple task, you'll want to make sure that you're doing it right the first time. Otherwise, it may be too late.

Concerning the .exe files you downloaded, it is likely that it just contains a compressed version of the .bin file that will be used in the Flash. Most manufacturers have a separate Flashing utility that needs to be added to a bootable floppy disk and when used with the extracted .bin file, Flashed the BIOS to the new version. But again, Intel may have a different means to carry this out so check out their site and follow their instructions.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Additionally.......

In so much as you stated this is an OEM system, it would be prudent to check the manufacturer's site for information regarding that BIOS.

You just never know with an OEM board, it could be a bit different from the ones that came straight from Intel as OEM have been known to use a cost cutting measure or two on occasion.

Better safe than sorry.
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice guys. After reading about the installation process at Intel's site, I've decided to leave well enough alone and keep my current BIOS. It appears if u screw up during installation ur Mother board could end up being an expensive paperweight which I don't need.

:D

Comment

Working...
        X