problems with the "Play Control" software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with the "Play Control" software

Im having an unusual problem. I have a computer that a cousin of mine built... now when he installed the cd-rom drive he didnt do anything in the Bios... recently ive installed a Cd-burner on the same IDE Cable and also did nothing in the Bios. He also installed a SoundBlaster Audigy soundcard. My problem is that when i play a Cd in the Cd-rom drive through say a program like Windows Media player using the "Play Control" device (the windows sound controller... you know... that little speaker in the toobar) the only settings that control either the mute option or the volume settings options are the main "Play Control" controller and the "Wave/Mp3" controller. Now i thought this was unusual, cause in my mind the controllers that should work on a CD in the CD-Rom Drive should be obviously the main "Play Control" controller, the "CD Audio" controller and at the very least (since the settings are set to "Enable digital Cd Audio for this CD-Rom Device" in the Device manager for the CD-Rom Drives) the "CD Digital" controller.
    To add to my confoundation, if i play the CD-Rom Drive from the little play button that is actually on the CD-Rom Drive (you know that little button with the arrows on it...) I can now choose from the "Play Control" setting and the "CD Audio" setting, but now not from the "Wave/Mp3" setting, but still neither from the "CD Digital" controller either.

Now a few thoughts have been going on in my head as to what the problem may be... First let me share that i've had to download the drivers for the Soundblaster Audigy Card through their website seeing as i lost the original software (its a long story). Now the first thing im thinking is, maybe the onboard soundcard is messing with the settings on my Audigy Card. So i went to the Bios and Disenabled the onboard Soundcard... still no luck. Then i went to the settings for the Primary Master and Primary Slave devices in the Bios and turned them from "Auto" to "Cd-Rom".... no luck. Then i noticed that there were settings for a secondary Master and Slave.... so i set those from "Auto" to "Cd-Rom".... no luck. then i decided to switch them all from "Auto" to "Cd-Rom" again no luck. Each time i made the switch and saved and exited from the Bios i'd get a message that read something like ...couldnt read or couldnt configure primary master and primary slave device (same with the secondary devices... etc.). So if thats not the problem i dont know what else to do. And thus i come to you folks and your infinite wisdom.

I have an Asus A7V266-C motherboard with 1010 drivers if that helps and i have an Athlon Xp 2000 chip. Windows Xp. Soundblaster Audigy. um... thats all i can think of.
    thanks in advance
    Drift

PS. told you the problem was unusual...

Ya'll have to go into the BIOS to Intergrated Peripherals and disable the onboard sound as ya're gettin' a conflict with two enabled sound cards. Also remove any software that maybe in the add/remove panel in the Control Panel that the onboard sound may have been using. Double check the Device Manager as well to make sure that the onboard sound doesn't still show up there. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hmmm... maybe im doing something wrong cause i think i tried all that you mentioned and still didnt get any positive results...

I went to the Bios and ensured that the "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" was Disabled, as well as the "Onboard AC97 Audio Controller" was Disabled. I couldnt find any other options besides those two that mention anything about audio settings in the Bios.

I went to the Device Manager and under "Sound, video and game controllers" I have settings for:
      Audio Codecs ("Device Usage" area is greyed out)
      Creative Game Port (enabled)
      Creative SB Audigy (enabled)
      Legacy Audio Drivers (greyed out)
      Legacy Video Capture Devices (greyed out)
      Media Control Devices (greyed out)
      Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device (I disabled this one)
      Video Codecs (greyed out)

In the Add/Remove programs files the only thing remaining that has any relation to sound devices that i could find are:
      Movie Maker background music files and sound effects
      PCI Audio Driver (when i tried to remove this it says that no audio device could be found and that there was nothing to do)
      Sound Blaster Audigy Web 2k/Xp
      and Real Player as well as some Windows Media player stuff... i did just remove a windows media tray something or other, but it still had no effect.

Also as an update (dont know if this will help) i did notice something about Legacy stuff in the Bios and also in the Play Control device i've noticed that if im not playing a Cd i can hear some ambient noise if i have the CD Audio mute button unticked. and that ambient noise goes away if i tick the mute button. Also if i try to tick Digital Output Only under the Advanced section of the Play Control settings all sound stops.

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

Ok then check ya IRQ's and see if the SB is sharing with another device but ya may have to do a fresh install of XP to get rid of all traces of the old sound chip.
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

a complete reinstall of Xp? ugh... how bout a second opinion. :(
          Well i checked the IRQ's and no it isnt sharing a spot with anyone. I dont have a digital cable going from the soundcard to the cd-rom drive... and i thought maybe the problem would be there but when i went to my local media markt the guy there said it wasnt neccassary on windows xp cause the sound card works through the bus... um yeah so i guess i didnt need that analog cable either that my cousin put in there.

I think ill try reinstalling the audigy drivers... i didnt have the original software to start and had to download them from the creative website. think ill try the process thats explained here in the guide for installing drivers without the software bundle, maybe thatll work.
          sigh...
          Drift

Comment

An interesting development in this old thread... Dont know how i missed it.
            Im still having problems with this soundcard and recently i rechecked the irq's. Seems I AM sharing irq's with this soundcard. Im sharing on IRQ 9 with my Creative SB Audigy a
            Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
            VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
            and another
            VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
            Are these the culprits for why i'm only getting wav/mp3 sound through my sound card and not digital/analog without a cable in windows xp?
            If so how do i go about fixing this issue? How do i change the IRQ setting for my Audigy?
            Also though im not having a problem with my video card i'm also sharing an IRQ with that. It shows that i'm sharing OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller with my Geforce4 on IRQ 5. Again im not having a problem with the video card but wonder if changing the IRQ for one of those would potentially help performance.
            Thanks
            Drift

Comment

Working...
            X