Another old OS query!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another old OS query!

:?: Can anyone give me a wee bit of advice regarding an OS upgrade, Iv acquired an old pc (486) thats running Windows 3.1, and was hoping to upgrade the OS to a more user friendly/familar one, I have been unable to acquire a copy of Win95, but i have a copy of Win98SE but have ahem lost the box for the disk! and cant remember the minimum specs required to run 98SE, so could someone please advise me on the min specs for upgrade to 98SE and whether or not it is possible to upgrade from 3.1 straight to 98SE(missing out 95), if not im gonna have to do some serious ratchin aboot to find a win95 OS cd!

Must be the time of the year when old oses come out to play

Cheeers All

Ok it was possible to update to 98 from 3.1/3.11 but I'm not sure about SE (never tried that and shame ya lost the code but if it's still installed on a PC then the number can be retrieved, can't remember the exact process though). So long as ya have 66MHz or better and 32MB RAM or better (100MHz and at least 64MB RAM I would suggest as min though) and it should run provided the BIOS will work with SE. ;)

Comment

LINUX!

Comment

: party ha LINUX is the final plan, but i know nothing about this pc at the moment so i wannae get it fired up with an os i can use to see what the setup is, (im also still doing a lot of background research into the linux scene, cos it all seems a bit intimidating at the moment, so i dont want to dive in head first!, need to get it sussed out a wee bit more.

the whole reason for rescuing this pc in the first place was to give a "test bench" pc for trying new things which could be potentially fatal on my main pc.

Cheers have a Carlton Cold for me Wiggo!

Comment

How about if I have one of my own homebrews instead? :D

I'm about to throw two versions of Linux (Lycoris Desktop/LX [Build 61] and Mandrake 9.0) on my old server (PC No.1 in my sig) once I put it back together (two other PC's to get rid of first) which runs 98SE with System Commander as the boot manager. :)

Comment

Working...
          X