SATA reviews yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA reviews yet?

Has anyone seen a review of serial ATA yet (besides the lostcircuits article)? I really want to know if it is worth buying one of these drives b/c I want to see what the ACTUAL throughput is between the processor and the drive. I know you can buy the Seagate BarracudaV at some stores so I am suprised not see any reviews out there.

b

Personally I wouldn't go out of my way atm to go Serial ATA as the PCI bus which it must use is the bottleneck so I doubt that there would be much real world improvement at all. When Serial ATAII comes along then that should be entirely different as it should be removed from the PCI bus and them it will be able to use it's full bandwidth. Current Serial ATA bandwidth is claimed 150MB/s but the PCI bus it must use is only rated at 133MB/s so ya should be able to see the flaw here as other devices on that bus have also got to have bandwidth allocated to them out of that 133MB/s as well. If ya just looking for extra storage capacity though then go for it but don't go into it expecting to see a performance increase. : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I have sata connectors right on my board and i have 2 cables. I dont think there will be many sata devices any time soon though:cheers:

Comment

In actual fact Seagate has been seelin' Serial ATA hard drives for a couple of months now. :rolleyes2
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

so when does serial ataII come out? and will we have to buy new mobo's?

Comment

Working...
          X