PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX?

jimmyurine
12-22-2002, 02:41 PM
when is this new chipset coming out from nvidia(if its not already out)? and does anyone know if its gonna be 4x only or 8x AGP compatable also? wanna check this out...

Mr.Tweak
12-22-2002, 05:00 PM
You'll be able to pick up one for around $500 US mid Jan 03 - it will be AGP 8x with DX9 support.

False Christian
12-22-2002, 10:50 PM
$500 U.S.?!? That'll mean it's gonna cost $908.50 Canadian (including 15% tax)!!! Nothing's worth that!:shoot:

jimmyurine
12-23-2002, 12:50 AM
wow, a bit steeper than i expected, but damn i do want that card...... guess im gonna shell out the $500 for it, thanks

Wiggo
12-23-2002, 12:56 AM
Well the lower version of the FX card at release will be $395us and the top $495us. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

jimmyurine
12-23-2002, 01:11 AM
well.....thats no good, i was under the impression that the Geforce FX was just a new chipset from nvidia, i didnt know it was a mobo......hrmmmmm

:knife:

Wiggo
12-23-2002, 01:25 AM
Soz but I started right but finished wrong (I should stop replyin' to two posts at once while half asleep). :cantfocus

Belrohk
12-23-2002, 05:10 AM
Nah get the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro its the same speed and has more bandwith, though go with the Hercules Prophet Radeon 9700 Pro they added alot more Heatsinks to overclock it if u ever need to, which you won't. Nvidia is going under, I doubt it will be very strong in the next few years, this Nvidia FX Card is a just something to try to get the company moving again and it wont, the radeon is cheaper and there is more out on the market now. And Nvidia lost MAJOR contracts this past month, I know ive lost alot of money on them in the market so im selling and going with ATI now. My best advice get the Hercules Prophet Radeon 9700 128 MB Pro.:cheers: "Cheers"

Darthtanion
12-23-2002, 05:47 AM
While I will agree that some vendors have made a switch to ATi, it is foolish to believe that the nVidia folks are going under. Stocks have played havoc lately and technical stocks have been about the worst, so this is a very poor gauge of the market.

As to the comment of the ATi running at the same speeds and having more bandwidth, I believe you'll find you're wrong on both counts. Speeds for the GeForce FX are set at 500MHz for the core and 1000MHz for the memory. That's right, we're talking about a video card running in the GHz zone!

Also consider that the memory being used is the DDR2 variety. It will raise bandwidth levels by a large amount and the pre-production cards are beating out the Radeon 9700 Pro by a considerable margin.

Now don't get me wrong; ATi isn't sitting still, but the nVidia company will own the video market when the NV30 based video boards are released. It will only be a matter of time before the competition comes up with an answer, but have no dounts that NV30 is real.

Wiggo
12-23-2002, 05:59 AM
Then once the opposition responds, nVidia turns around and opens the memory bandwidth even further (which is already planned). No we still have years of chasin' our tails tryin' to keep up with it all. ;)

Belrohk
12-23-2002, 07:34 AM
Well in reality the both have the same bandwidth, it seems to me that both are the same, but theoritically the ATI is almost double the bandwidth, I was reading it in an ATI Press Release and at another Game Site and in my PC Gamer. I would assume those to be true, but hey there is always a better card out, and the ATI Radeon Card is the card of DOOM III, that in itself is quite impressive.

Paintballguy59
01-01-2003, 12:02 AM
I would definitely go for the radeon 9700 pro after hearing those prices... The fx isnt gonna be that much better than the 9700.... Im in the process of building my computer and i just made the decision to get the ati card instead of nvidia.

RDR
01-01-2003, 01:08 AM
from what i've read the Geforce FX will be significantly better than the R9700

....but it has a distinct disadvantage, in that you can't actually buy one right now.

Final
01-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Dam thats expensive....a 900 canadian..
i don't even have a penny on me...........
how will i get that card? haha
i'm bankrupt........my mobo took like more than 300 bucks off me....
lol no $ left......

You think 9500 pro will run doom 3 @ 35 fps?... :geek:

FLaCo
01-02-2003, 11:45 AM
The GeForce FX will own the Video Crad MArket for a while ... and although price is steep taht would be the only thing holding me back from the purchase over the 9700. Since i alreasy have Ti4600...i will play with that until the FX gets at a reasonable price....which might take a while...

Final
01-02-2003, 11:49 AM
prices, prices........ GF4 FX is own for a while i guess
(for people who can afford it)
what will the next vid. card after that be? a radeon 9900 pro or something??? 9900 pro <-- i just guessed the name...the R350...
if whoever wants to trade there GF4 FX w/ a 9500 Pro or a TnT2 video card.. ask me please....:laugh:

pr0ph3t
01-04-2003, 12:42 PM
quick note :
theoretical bandwith listed by nvidia (ti-4600):10.4gbps
theoretical bandwith listed by nvidia (FX): 16.7gbs
Theoretical bandwith by ati (9700 pro): Bandwith 20,2 GB/s

also please note ati specs:

620Mhz 256-bit DDR BGA ::fx probably will remain 128-bit for the time being,

iin conclusion while the fx card may have faster memmory the theoretical performance as stated by nvidia will be on equivilence with the 9700pro until it is further developed.\

..:: pr0 ::..

m-kong
01-04-2003, 01:22 PM
"Although higher memory bandwidth is always a good thing, modern graphics cards achieve their high performance by employing intelligent memory interfaces. Matrox' Parhelia is a prime example of this. Even though its theoretical bandwidth is twice as high as that of a GeForce4 Ti4600 (NV25), it fails to achieve its rival's scores by a long shot. The reason is the NV25's highly optimized memory interface (Lightspeed Memory Architecture). The GeForceFX (NV30) will use an even more refined version of this interface. In addition to Z-data compression, the chip is now capable of lossless 4:1 color compression in real-time (more on that later, in the section on Intellisample). NVIDIA promises a major performance-boost in combination with antialiasing. On top of that, larger caches and more refined caches as well as highly tweaked "crossbar" controller are also part of the new chip "

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021118/geforcefx-04.html

Found a Great article from tomshardware.com
Awesome Read for the Nvidia FX

pr0ph3t
01-04-2003, 01:55 PM
still even as an nvidia advocate the 9700 will probably remain top till nvidia works all the bugs which we all know will be present at the release time
..:: pr0 ::..

The__tweaker
01-05-2003, 01:39 AM
From what i've heard the ati 9700 brings quite a bit of problems, it's many people who had to send em back.
Even at this time when the childhood diseases should be gone.

I'm stickning to nvidia, good performance and reliability,
altough the price on the new FX will sting a bit...

And i think Gf FX will no doubt handle Doom III best of all cards on the market due to the games special programing to suit Geforce FX.

:cheers:

Wiggo
01-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Ya don't really have to buy it ya know. :rolleyes2

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

The__tweaker
01-05-2003, 01:48 AM
True, but hey Wiggo, IF i go ahead and buy it i could always send
the invoice to you... ;)

:laugh:

Wiggo
01-05-2003, 01:53 AM
Not bloody likely atm m8, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7342 ;)

Plus I'm just as happy on this (http://members.optushome.com.au/wiggo101/Thunder.html) as I am with this (http://members.optushome.com.au/wiggo101/PC1.html). :p

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

The__tweaker
01-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Yes i've read about your son's miraculos luck to survive the accident. Stuff like that freaks me out since i also experienced
some not so fun stuff in my younger days involving traffic... :(

You have some really nice setups there.
I'm thinking about building my gf an amd based pc this time.
An 2000 or 2200+ would be more than enough power for her use.

:)

:cheers:

Wiggo
01-05-2003, 04:07 AM
I sure wish that the missus and I could heal like that. :cry:

Actually if ya can get an XP2400+, 2x 256MB PC3200 RAM and an nForce2 mobo that should do her for a good long time plus still be upgradable. ;)

Also has some interestin' darkside abilities as well in that combination. :devil win

JealousMidget
01-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Speaking of being upgradeable... Does anyone know how much further AMD will go with the XP clock once the Hammer gets into "real" production? :?:

Just wondering,
JM :afro:

Wiggo
01-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I've heard that several places have XP3200+ Barton cores now for testing purposes but who would really know with the 2-3yr life that they reckon Socket A has left in it (if that long at all with the pace of progress now) before it joins Sockets 3/4/5/7/SS7/8/370/423 and Slots 1/2/A (plus anyothers that I may have missed) in the graveyard for landfill? : peace2:

Remember we're still waiting for the PCI bus and hard drives to be removed from our systems "oldest of bottlenecks" list yet. ;)

Motorhead
01-12-2003, 09:00 AM
:rolleyes: Well I would like to comment on the ATI 9700 Pro. I bought one and returned it less than 24 hours later. The card is a total piece. Spent almost $400 to get a measly 7 fps faster than my old Asylum 128 Nvidia GF4. I went back to my Nvidia. Not only that but ATI really screws with windows. I had a heck of a time getting all their garbage out of my system to get it tweaked again. Just words of warning when going with ATI. I will say this about ATI, if you are doing video editing there is nothing better out there. If you are using this for gaming stick with Nvidia.

PEACE!

Dallows
01-12-2003, 10:15 AM
You guys are beginning to sound like children, I mean come on. First of all, the card isn't close to release, and all of these performance numbers are based on theory and a far from finished product. I have no worries that Nvidia will tweak the card to peak performance, kicking the Radeon 9700's ass with ease. Also, all this bandwith crap is just that, crap. Even if the 9700 has better bandwith (and it wouldn't be by much) the Nvidia card would be optimized to get far better perfomance with what it is working with. Don't forget DDR2.

weta
01-12-2003, 06:54 PM
PCI Express motherboards will be available by the end of this year (goodbye AGP), and then theres Big Water after that.

E^vol
01-12-2003, 08:46 PM
PCI Express motherboards will be available by the end of this year (goodbye AGP), and then theres Big Water after that.
Yaa ! PCI Express will be a welcome speed upgrade.
Does anyone know if it's still on schedule ? (end of this year-which is also what I've heard)
I may have just crawled out from under a rock, but what's "Big Water" ? Any rumored specs floating around ?
If PCI Express IS still on target, I might not buy a GeForceFX this spring...I might just upgrade to a ti4200-8x for now (cheaper) and wait for the next big upgrade. Hmmm..Meditate on this matter, I will.

weta
01-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Big Water is a minaturised bus, similar in size to an AMR/CNR slot.