umm... lil' help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• umm... lil' help

I have a athlon XP2000+ with an epox 8K9A1, gigabyte radeon 9000 pro and 256mb of pc2700 ram. When I'm running games such as bf1942 or MOHAA every 2-3 secs the computer lags, this is with the settings down pretty low, and it only goes away when I have them on the bare minimum. I'm running windows XP pro with office XP and I remeber reading something ages ago about some sort of search feature that screws up your games with office XP, I'm guessing this could be whats causing it but I can't remeber where I read it or how to disable this feature. Any ideas???

A few things can cause this but check the settin' of ya AGP Aperture Size in the BIOS as a lot of mobos are defaulted to 64MB but 128MB is far better. :)
    Maybe goin' thru these two guides will help ya out a bit more. ;)

<center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

It was already on 128mb, I tried it on 256mb but it didn't seem to make a difference. I've got my old duron 900mhz with 512mb of sd ram and a gf4mx440 that run games better so I'm pretty sure its a problem that overclocking isn't going to fix, but thanx for your advice anywayz. At the moment I can only run games on 800 x 600 x 16 with all the other settings on a minimum or disabled, it runs fine when I have them higher except every 3 seconds or so it lags for about a second. When I first got it up and running I was using a gf2 mx400 64mb which ran the games better then ther're running atm, then I put the radeon in there and installed office XP and norton 2003 and all the games screwed up. I've got all the latest drivers for my hardware except a bios update and I'ver tried running with norton and all the other utilities disabled but it dosn't make a difference. Any other ideas on what could be causeing the problem?

Comment

I had the same problem for a short time and the fix for me was to allow "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (5.1....)" access to the internet. Not sure what it has to do with anything but if it is blocked by my firewall it has a furball and causes me the problem that you describe.

Duron750
        448 sdram
        MX440
        Audigy
        XP pro
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
        X