Bad Hard Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Hard Drive?

I just bought a new Maxtor 30 gig hard drive. I went into Fdisk and created a 10 gig primary partition, then a 20 gig extended partition, then set the primary partition as the active partition. I rebooted and went back into dos to format the drive. The C: partition formatted to 100 percent, however it froze at 19% when creating the allocation table. It stayed frozen for about 2 minutes and an error message came up saying there was an error formatting. Now the hard drive is no longer recognized. I always get hard drive failure messages at bootup and the bios is unable to auto-detect the drive, and fdisk no longer sees the drive. Did I do something wrong or is the harddrive just a lemon?

Well, there could be a problem.
    Before you throw in the towel give MaxBlast a try.
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/dow...st_plus_ii.htm
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I always get hard drive failure messages at bootup and the bios is unable to auto-detect the drive, and fdisk no longer sees the drive. Did I do something wrong or is the harddrive just a lemon?

Have you tried formatting it with your previous HDD and OS installed?

What OS are you using? If you have XP or Win2K you can boot from CD and have it format and create partitions. But AFAIC, partitioning is a waste of time. That's just me, I could be wrong.

Comment

you could try going back into fdisk and repartitioning as one primary dos partition. There is also powermax, it will do a number of tests on the drive including a low level format, you must do the earlier tests first though this is important, if all tests are passed, it could be a problem elsewhere.

W

Comment

i think if the bios is failing to detect the drive u would first need to sort that out, is it possible that a cable got loosened? i'd try re-seating all the connections and if the drive still won't detec tthen i'd be RMA'ing it straight away, a new drive shouldnt give you any hassle, last thing u want is unreliable storage!

Comment

Working...
          X