Screen instead of window for cooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen instead of window for cooling?

Just an idea I've been kicking around ... Is there any good reason why I can not cut a hole in the side of my case and solder metal screen over it for a passive cooling solution? I realize that it would prolly not be as effective as installing fans but would it help? If so how much? Trying not to cook my GF4 MX440 as I overclock it ... that and I thought it might look kinda cool if done properly.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

An interesting idea.
    1 plus to that solution would be that the shielding against outside electrical interference provided by a metal case would be more effective than that provided by a window and still retain that see-through effect.

On the down side, it would totally disrupt the airflow in the case which could allow hot spots to develop in unwanted areas such as memory, cpu or drives.

Another consideration would be the amount of yuck that the screen would allow to enter the case.

I suppose if you're case doesn't provide good air-flow to begin with this could be an idea to tinker with. Though I'd think some strategically placed fans might be better for the over-all system.
    How about a good ol' slot cooler, they are pretty decent for removing heat from a video card and can be modified to suit the card with a little ingenuity?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Thanks for the responce Mr.C. I'm using an older Compaq with only the psu fan for an air intake ... dunno if there is a preplanned airflow in this thing that I can disrupt. Seems like the cpu fan and the vid card fans move more air than the psu fan. So far I've gotten away with using the original psu (200 - 250 watt?) and have added the GF MX440 and an Audigy card (connected to six speakers) as well as increasing the sdram to 448 ... not sure if this thing would support another fan w/o using outside power source and I doubt that I'd be able to figure out where to plug one into the system anyway.

Playing Devils Advocate here but does the already existing psu fan not draw more dust thru this thing than I'd get with a screen system? Might the dust not be more readily explelled thru the screen than it is w/ the original system?

In the event that I do add a fan instead of attempting my halfbaked plan is there any problem with using an independantly powered one or would I cause myself more problems? (i.e grounding, electromagnetism, etc.) With my limited electronics knowledge it would prolly be safer for me to wire a fan to an independant converter than directly to my computer.

The slot cooler is not an option for me as I am out of slots :-). Had to fire up the dremel so that I could keep my game port when I put in the NIC card a few months ago.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

Any chance of gettin' a few pics to show the case and it's layout? :?:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Sorry ... not much chance of pictures from my end ... web cam doesn't work since I switched to XP (freezes after a few seconds. Tried updated drivers ect. but no joy .... could be power supply related is best answer I've been able to find on any forum). No overnight photo developers near where I live so scanning in a pic is not gonna happen in the near future.

System is a standard el cheapo Compaq Presario 5000 series with the added goodies that I mentioned in last post. The case is one of those tacky things that came with the ugly purple plastic face plate (since painted black w/ a dragon design on it). The 3 PCI slots are full: SB Audigy sound card, D Link NIC, and telephone modem.

Comment

Just thought I'd give an update. I caved into the conventional wisdom that you fine people imparted and cut an 80mm intake fan into the side panel. The project was so simple that I may try installing another one or two ... or six if my PSU continues to let me play and the local 'puter store gets some more in stock.

Really sick and tired of trying to get around the limitations of my Compaq but I've been told that the "footprint" for the mobo in my case is not compatible with coventional mobos. Way too costly right now to start changing mobo, cpu, case, and PSU so I'll push this thing to it's limits. (Guess if I surpass the limits I can always go visit my friendly banker and get a loan).:cheers:

Comment

Umm....... I take it that ya might of read one of my rants that I've posted today maybe? :?:

Maybe this one, http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...;threadid=7273 or maybe ya can get some more ideas from it. ;)

<small>sorry but I am carryin' on today for good reasons though</small> :devil win
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i like that idea,maybe i'll try tat,. I like it cause is give a bit more airflow,and a dust extractor/

the more ideas,the better

Comment

Working...
                X