broken processor pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken processor pins

Anyone know if there is a way to solder broken pins back on a processor without damaging it? Solder is pretty hot.

I'm thinking that you may be out of luck. Even if you were able to solder the pin back, the odds of it being straight enough and thin enough to actually be inserted back into the socket would be minimal at best. I'm also not sure that solder would be strong enough to be able to allow for the stress of activating the ZIF handle.

Sorry, but it may very well be time to start looking for a replacement processor. :(
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I bent the pins on my old 800 athlon, and bent them back. It took some time, and i had to use the ZIF to help bend it, but it works. Maybe you could solder it back (WITHOUT TOUCHING SEVERAL PINS) and carefully durect it into the socket. I wouldn't ever take it out again if it works.
      BUT maybe darthtanion is right, time for a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Anyone know if there is a way to solder broken pins back on a processor without damaging it? Solder is pretty hot.
        The chip can take a breif exposure to the heat, if you have the right solder gun, but chances of attaching even one pin correctly are near zero, even worse for several.
        Time to get a new chip.
        Enjoy your key chain, and be more careful next time!

Comment

Just out ohf interest what CPU was it?

Comment

Working...
          X