Athlon XP Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon XP Overclocking

I am new to this website and to overvlocking, I just bought a Athlon XP 1700+ and a Soltek 75DRV2. I already know how to unlock the chip (thanks to Tom's Hardware), however I am not exactly sure if I should mess with the FSB or the multiplier settings or what. I have a pretty good cooler (GlobalWin FOP32), so I am hoping to be able to overclock by 15%, is this unrealistic?
    Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

AMD Athlon 1700+
    Soltek 75DRV2
    GlobalWin FOP32
    512 MB DDR
    Geforce 3

Just a couple suggestions:

1. If you want to overclock, and you've unlocked your Athlon already, then it's probably a good idea to gradually move both the FSB and the multipler up to see how stable it is... Remember, the FSB also effects the other components on the board, whereas the multiplier is the CPU only..

2. While the FOP32 is a great cooler, they don't really stand up to today's overclocking conditions. I've got a FOP32 on an Athlon 1.1Ghz, and it gets very warm when I overclock that even a little. If you seriously want to overclock, then i'd invest in something a little better for cooling.

Comment

thanks for clarifying the FSB and multiplier stuff for me, beefy. Could tell me what would be a good air cooler or maybe even a inexpensive water cooler?

Comment

I'm not really the person to ask about that one.. but i'll do what I can..

Don't know much about water cooling.. that's really only for the people who really wanna push the hell out of their system. There are a lot of good coolers on the market now. If you have a look through the cooling thread you might find some good suggestions in there..

best of luck to ya.. :thumb:

Comment

Watercoolin' I'd really leave alone until ya've done a lot of homework on it but here is a list of HSF's that you should consider,
          Swiftech MCX462
          Alpha PAL8045
          Swiftech MCXC370
          Swiftech MCX370-OA
          Thermalright SK-6
          OCZ Gladiator
          and make sure that you get them with high quality fans. :smokin:
          <center> </center>

Comment

Let me add one more to the list that impressed me:

Thermal Integration Dr. Thermal TI-V86N

It cools great and the retention mechanism used on this sink will ease any worries of cracking the core. If it means anything, it is the cooler that I use on a normal basis on my personal machine.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

i got a ASUS A7A 266 and a athlon 1600+xp

i dont know who to unlock the chip please tell me how to or were to look to do it

and any articals telling of others how have over clocked this system and to what?

Comment

Here check this out for unlocking it. http://www6.tomshardware.com/column/...124/index.html :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

From other's experiences in the Overclockers Australia forum, the XP processors tend not to be that great at overclocking - compared with say the Duron/Celerons of old.

For the XP1700, you'd be very very lucky if you could get it up to 1.7Ghz even using extreme cooling.
                  Onyx

TweakTown
                  OCAU - Overclockers Australia
                  CPF - CandlePower Forums

Antec 1080AMG with 430W TruePower

Comment

Hey Onyx..... long time no see..... how have ya been? :wave:
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Or check the forums on the overclockers.com forum! They say the same!

Comment

Good advice wiggo!

I have a Fop32 and it didn't cool well enough for me. I replaced it with a GlobalWin Cak38 which wa better, but was noisy with the Delat 7000 so i retro'd it with one of those 60mm to 80mm adapters and a nice quiet 3500 rpm fan that pushes 55 cfms. It cools better and is quiet too.

After that I went to the Alpha Pal8045 and it is so nice. Just make sure you get the recommended Sanyo Denki fan with it. It is super quiet and a nice qaulity ball-bearing unit.

:smokin:

Comment

Hey Wiggo i looked and looked on that site you posted and i can't find the spot to Download the Video for unlocking the 1600 XP's. I probably over looked it but if you could help me and let me know where it is at so i can Download it that would be cool. Thanks Dude

Comment

Ok then there are 2 mirrors for the video and here they are. ;)
                            http://cs1.streamgate.de/tomshardwar...2_ocing_xp.zip
                            http://www4.tomshardware.com/images/...2_ocing_xp.zip
                            And if ya need the latest DivX codec ya can get that at this 1. :)
                            http://www.divx.com/
                            Have fun. :thumb:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The video looks great even that i have a tbird LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X