AMD 1800 XP w/ PC2700 RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD 1800 XP w/ PC2700 RAM

I just put together a new computer. I bought all the parts from newegg.com (one kickass site!) and put it together myself. I went with an AMD 1800 XP for speed and cost reasons. but I figured that the prices on the fast ram chips weren't so bad. So I bought a 256mb stick of PC2700 DDR. And much to my dismay, when I booted up and it read out the speed of the RAM on the post, it was only running at 266mhz. Now an easy change of the CPU Host Frequency can change this, but I was wondering it that would work out ok, or is it overclocking. I ask because i read in my mobo manual (Albatron KX400-8X) that the PC2700 RAM needs a processor with a CPU Host Freq. of 166mhz to run at 333mhz. Is this true? I mean, what's the real deal here? Thanks.

Something wrong there as 166MHz FSB CPU's will require PC3200 to run at HostClk+ and what you have is what ya need. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I don't really understand. Shouldn't my RAM be running 333mhz regardless? It looks as if the CPU is somehow holding it back. The mobo is an easy overclocker. but it looks like the CPU is locked (retail). I changed the CPU host freq. once to see what would happen and the RAM speed did change.

Comment

The 1800 XP also has a 266 FSB. So what's the problem?

Comment

Ideally 133MHz FSB (266MHz DDR) CPU's teamed with PC2700 (166MHz or 333MHz DDR) is ya optimum setting as this leaves bandwidth to the memory open for DMA hardware purposes whereas runnin' the memory at the same speed as the CPU will require the CPU to give up bandwidth to the memory for DMA hardware accesses resulting in poorer performance. :devil win

Comment

Umm... that really didn't help my understanding, sorry. So what should I do is what I really want to know.

Comment

Ok then goin' and setting ya memory to HostClk+ is not overclocking as ya'll be running the memory at its standard speed and this is the setting that ya should be using. Now when ya raise the FSB it doesn't usually show the memory running faster until ya get right into the memory settings usually but programs such as Sandra will. ;)

Reading this guide may also bring ya some valuable understanding of things. :)

Comment

ok, thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X