1.3 Duron on a VMod A7V, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.3 Duron on a VMod A7V, worth it?

I have an old Asus A7v from my last pc, and with the release of the new 1.3 Duron I was wondering if this combo would be a good overclocking mix. The board is Vcore Modded to go up to 2.31 i think. Not sure thou. I only had it modded for a month before m7y Kg7 came in so i didnt care that much. Is this worth it or should i wait for .13 or even .13 SOI durons? (100FSB needed)

A7V board with the KT133 chipset? While it will overclock your Duron, it won't give you the best performance possible from the processor. The main reason for this is that the KT133 chipset will only O/C to maybe 115 FSB speeds. The chipset is the holdup here, so even with the voltage mod, you probably won't get much higher.

If it does have the newer KT133A chipset, then it may well be worth the effort to play a bit. While the KT133A chipset is a bit dated, it managed to get some of the best O/C results of it's day.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Nope it's got the KT133. So i'm FSB o/c limited, but do you think it's still worth a Duron .13 or .13 SOI just as a secondary PC when the new procs come out. I could even up the multplier above 13x with a bios flash (if asus cares) and keep the FSB at 115-ish. With the Vcore mod, i may get up there in multiplier, if AMD keeps the duron at 100. If they jump to 133, there prolly wont be any multipliers above 13, and i'll be outta luck. I could always buy a TBred and stick the AXIA into the asus again, but that would be a waste of possible FSB.

BTW what do you think Durons will cost when they hit?

Comment

The thing would be if the board and/or BIOS can handle the newer Durons as they are basically an XP core with less L2 cache. :smokin:
        <center> </center>

Comment

So you're saying the newer durons will use a 133MHz FSB like the XP's do.

Comment

That's not correct - all Duron CPUs have a 100MHz FSB, including the new "Morgan" stepping ones. This is to preserve Athlon sales, so they are given a faster 133MHz FSB :)
            What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Actually with the Duron you should lower the multipier by unlocking the L1 bridges on the CPU and then using a motherboard with a chipset that is of running at 133MHz FSB and running at 10x133MHz FSB will get the best performance from that processor as this is what I plannin' with one on a KT266A chipset based motherboard (soon I hope). :smokin:
              <center> </center>

Comment

I was talking about the factory defaults Wiggo ;)

I'm well aware Durons (with a bit of non-AMD approved modding) can run at 133MHz :D
                What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I know but I was talkin' about gettin' the best out of them. :D
                  I maybe able to find out soon enough. ;)

Comment

In the long run, you'd be better off getting a new mobo. The A7V is nice, but for anything past 1.2GHz, you're best off lookin for something else to run it in.

Comment

Working...
                    X