PDA

View Full Version : Using AudioGalaxy? must read!

Mr. C
01-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Ok gang,
I'm not using this program, never have.
For those of you who do, check this article. This is information you need to know about.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0%2C1282%2C49960%2C00.html

Beefy
01-25-2002, 11:46 AM
don't you just love spyware? I installed AG a long time ago, noticed that it had something like that (I think it was webhancer back then) so i got rid of the whole thing straight away..

gimme morpheus any ol' day..

Mr. C
01-25-2002, 11:52 AM
You've got a keen eye Beefy:thumb:

I just want to make sure anyone here using AG is aware, the article links to a fix for the spyware too.

Olie
01-25-2002, 03:47 PM
my fire wall picks up the *.exe and blockes it, then traces it
wanna know the ip addy of the main server?

Andy
01-25-2002, 05:00 PM
yes pls :)

Olie
01-25-2002, 05:45 PM
sorry thats not 4 me to tell
get it yourself :p

Wiggo
01-25-2002, 05:53 PM
Yeah I posted a couple of very similar reports a couple of weeks ago in the web news. :smokin:
<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

DigitalDD
01-25-2002, 10:56 PM
don't you just love spyware? I installed AG a long time ago, noticed that it had something like that (I think it was webhancer back then) so i got rid of the whole thing straight away..

gimme morpheus any ol' day..

wehancer, gator and something else they've always put spyware on your PC. I'm pretty sure Morpheus has a backdoor or some spyware thats hidden. its really a modified version of kazaa which is a known spyware distributor..

http://www.zeropaid.com/morpheus/

Albinus
01-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Hmmmm I use AudioGalaxy, but an older version that didn't seem to be affected - I ran the spyware utility and didn't find anything :confused:

Anonymous
01-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Spyware is becoming common practise now, maybe we have to start getting used to it... :?:

Mr. C
01-26-2002, 12:23 PM
Only if you feel compelled to use it.

Olie
01-26-2002, 04:18 PM
or too block it :)

Anonymous
01-26-2002, 08:37 PM
Mr.C, well in that case YES, I'd have to say I'm still prepared to use Audio Galaxy because I think it's sucha great product, just maybe the production team behind it doesn't have their head screwed on quite properly.

Albinus
01-26-2002, 09:39 PM
Well they do have to make a quid somehow, and those spyware companies pay them big $$$ to include their "product" inside their software :cantfocus

Mr. C
01-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Not criticizing or anything now mind you.

But I have put up with spyware on a limited basis in order to resume DL'ing some rather large files.

I can honestly say that I would not find this acceptable behaviour from any other products within my household, and strange that I have actually accepted it out of necessity from software.

For instance -- I would be rather hesitant to own a refrigerator that reported to the grocer what brands/products I place inside. Or to drive a car that transmitted what brands of petrol, oil, and tires I placed in or on it.

Sometimes I hardly understand my own behaviours/motivations.

DigitalDD
01-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Not criticizing or anything now mind you.

But I have put up with spyware on a limited basis in order to resume DL'ing some rather large files.

I can honestly say that I would not find this acceptable behaviour from any other products within my household, and strange that I have actually accepted it out of necessity from software.

For instance -- I would be rather hesitant to own a refrigerator that reported to the grocer what brands/products I place inside. Or to drive a car that transmitted what brands of petrol, oil, and tires I placed in or on it.

Sometimes I hardly understand my own behaviours/motivations.

I know exactly what you mean which is why once I find some spyware on my system I disable access to the site it communicates with my firewall, so it can't report back..:thumb:

Olie
01-29-2002, 12:12 PM
^ do the same here DigitalDD