PDA

View Full Version : 4x AGP vs 8x AGP

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 12:15 AM
Is there any performance diffrence between 4x AGP and 8x AGP? I know that 4x can go about 4GB/s transfer rate, and 8x can go about 8GB/s transfer rate, but is there any big performance gain from it?

I recently had a 4x AGP version of the same card (GeForce 4 MX440), and I have played games and such with both cards, but I don't see faster frame-rates, is it just because it's a very slight boost, or is it because there is none what-so-ever?

Also, does 'Sideband Addressing' do anything either? And should it be enabled?

Thank you for any replies! :)

RDR
01-08-2003, 12:59 AM
AGP8x does make a slight measureable difference - but it's really not noticable during game play....especially with a card like a Gf4MX - the 4XAGP bus is definately not the bottle neck for that card

Cloud Strife
01-08-2003, 02:55 AM
Yeah, I didn't think so either, it would probably be good for the GeForce 4 Titanium series, and obviously the GeForce FX series that will be coming out, if not already.

djrpowell
01-13-2003, 07:23 AM
I think that it is one of those things that will make a difference in the future when the game designers make a change in their programs to take proper advantage. i.e. if they double the quality of their graphics!

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Well it's not long now till they make games with extreme graphic quality, like the Final Fantasy 8 - 10 cinematic sequences (Imagine playing a game with those graphics @ real-time), and A.I. that will seem like we ARE actually playing another human being.

It's not an over-exaduration, at most it could be and under-exaduration, less than 10 years we will see this stuff happening, now go back in time 10 years and see what we were playing then, and compare it to now (Doom Vs UT2003), did I make my point? :p

djrpowell
01-16-2003, 12:37 AM
very true!