Is MycCPU DEAD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is MycCPU DEAD??

hey guys just yesterday i setup this new system and the first time i powered it on it runs a bit (but no beep or anydisplay on the screen) then the motherboard starts to make like an alarm until i have to turnoff the switch.

My setup is the Epox 8k5a2+ board, 256mb corsair xms pc 2700 cas 2, and an AMD xp 2400+.

i am wondering if i installed the thermal compound wrong because i rubbed it all over the top of the chip even where u see the L1 and L2 things. is that ok?

anyway after i take out the cpu and just turn on the motherboard
    it does not shutdown and start to alarm.

the only POST code i could remember seeing was like C3.

Did you clear the CMOS before you 1st turned it on? :?:

Comment

No i did not, is that something i have to do?
      and could this be the solution sir or am i too late to do this?

Comment

Do it now and tell me what happens (oh and leave the jumper in that clear position for a few minutes before movin' it back and powerin' up again). ;)

Comment

ok

Comment

Originally posted by gorchen5
            i am wondering if i installed the thermal compound wrong because i rubbed it all over the top of the chip even where u see the L1 and L2 things. is that ok?

anyway after i take out the cpu and just turn on the motherboard
            it does not shutdown and start to alarm.
            Here is a decent guide to properly appying thermal compound;

Regardless of what brand you may be using, follow this guide -- looks like you have some serious cleaning to do.

Additionally, it is not reccomended to ever apply power to a motherboard without having the CPU and RAM installed - in some cases this activity can cause damage.
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

What's this? :confused:

Not back yet? :?:

Comment

i am back

Comment

well i cleared the CMOS as you said then set it back to normal and powered it back on and it stays on for about one second then shutdowns back. but whenever i power on the motherboard without the cpu it does not automatically shuts down. the only difference this time (after clearing the cmos) is that it does not make that beeping alarm sound

maybe i messed up the cpu, lol its oem too so i am scared as hell now.

Comment

Ok then I missed this bit at first..
                    "i am wondering if i installed the thermal compound wrong because i rubbed it all over the top of the chip even where u see the L1 and L2 things. is that ok?"
                    YOU ONLY COVER THE AREA COMING INTO CONTACT WITH THE CPU! :hammer:

Sorry about but you've probably shorted the CPU out. :(

Clean the CPU off thoroughly (pay particular attention to those pits) then reapply the compound thinly on the top of the core only. :devil win

Put it all back together and clear the CMOS again and see what happens. Good luck.
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I have the exact same motherboard and it sounds like I had the exact same problem. I had the clip on my heat sink on backwards. Here is a link to the thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=5551

Comment

Ouch that can crack your core...
                        - Damien

Comment

Working...
                        X