Need Some Help With New Toshiba Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help With New Toshiba Laptop

I just bought a TOSHIBA Satellite 1415-S173 Laptop and was going to upgrade the memory from 256MB to 512MB. But I still have a few questions that am kind of unsure about, so maybe some of you can help me out.

Here are the specs first:
    Intel Celeron 1.8GHz 400MHz FSB 256K Cache
    Intel 845MZ Chipset Supporting DDR-2100 Modules
    NVIDIA GF4-GO! 420 w/16MB VRAM
    256MB PC2100 Non-ECC 2.5v 200pin SODIMM

So here are my questions:

1) According to Intel's website the chipset can handle upto 1GB of memory, however, Toshiba's documentation states that it maxes out at 512MB. Can this be limited by BIOS programming? And if not should I be able to upgrade to 1GB instead of the Toshiba stated 512MB?

2) I am debating between DDR 2100 or DDR 2700 SODIMMs. Will I see any performance advantage by installing DDR 2700 SODIMMS in place of the DDR 2100s? There are no memory timing features in the BIOS what so ever, so I know I can't tweak with it in any way.

Ok even though I have absolutely nothin' to do with mobile computin'.

1) The chipset may support it but probably support for half was cut to minimize costs in making the motherboard and it will then be physically impossible (even w/ BIOS update) to get it to take any more.

2) If your setup allows support to fully use the higger speed modules and you do a lot of intensive memory work then yes it would pay you to get the faster ones (same principals apply here as in the stationary units). :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo and others,

Well it seemed that the PC2700 SODIMMS work in my new Toshiba laptop. However, when benchmarking with either one or both new sticks of the PC2700 SODIMMS installed my scores are cut in half in everything from MIPS, FPU, MEMORY, Etc. What the heck is wrong now? Looking back at the toriginal specs you'll notice that the stock memory was PC2100 type. Could it be possible that the computer sees the PC2700 as slower memory? They are Kingston KVR333X64SC25 CL2.5@166MHz CL2.0@133MHz. Shouldn't my laptop continue to use the 266FSB? I checked using Sandra Sisoft and it says that mem is @ 2x100MHz. But with the PC2100 in it goes back to 2x133MHz. Please help.

Comment

Can you manually input the proper settings into BIOS? :?:

Comment

Unfortunately not. It does in fact seem to think the memory is PC1600. I would have imagined that the system if anything would be able to at least run them at 133@CL2. I know that my major concern is just what some utilities are telling me but gosh it bugs the heck out of me.

I've tried updating the System bios in hopes that there are some mem tweaks, but that was only wishful thinking.

I tried updating the Intel inf drivers, but that was of no help either.

I guess this is what the System and memory are behaving like:

Comment

Working...
          X