PDA

View Full Version : PCI to AGP adapter?

negomike
01-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Hello,

I am currently looking for an adapter to make a PCI slot compatible with an AGP card.

My goal is to go for Matrox Parhelia type surround gaming with GeForce4 Ti 4200 cards.

I.e. One card in AGP slot and two in PCI slots. Would this work? Is this doable?

I have yet to find such an adapter. Does anyone know where I could get one/do they exist?

Worst case scenarios, could I use GF4 MX 440 cards that are made for PCI to accomplish this?

Thanks!
Michael

Donít shoot the noowbie
:bounce:

aznx
01-11-2003, 01:13 PM
not possible, cant work in sync, plus pci cant handle agp bandwidth, so adapter wouldnt work..just getta matrox..lol

negomike
01-11-2003, 01:19 PM
:cry:

Dang!

I was hoping there was some way to do it.

The reason I don't really want to go Parhelia it is a bit underpowered esp. for over $300.

Also, I am building a comp to last me some time. The Parhelia is already struggling to keep up.

Is there *ANY* work around to get three monitors up?

Hmmm.... 3 Geforce FX's...

:snip:

Please don't mind the moron playing with the smiley faces.

Wiggo
01-12-2003, 01:21 AM
Get a dual head AGP video card then put a PCI GF2/4 MX (w/ either single or dual head) in and if there are no IRQ or driver probs then ya can have 3-4 monitors (works better w/ motherboards w/ few onboard extras). ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

aznx
01-12-2003, 11:34 AM
wiggo, surround gaming tho..wouldnt work i dont think, could a gf4mx keep up with a ti4600..lol, or just wait for the parhelia2

negomike
01-13-2003, 01:18 AM
Hmmm....

Sounds good. I would like to have a Parhelia card that matched a Geforce Ti line card.

I would wet my pants for a card with a GF FX chip with the rest of the hardware done by Matrox. :lips: : peace:

Well, I'll be building my new comp. probably in early Feb. so I'll keep you updated.

He, would I be able to do a AGP GF Ti 4200 and two GF MX's in PCI slots? The both side monitors would have similar "power" behind them and my main would be able to use the full attention of a GF Ti or FX (Pipe dream, I know).

Thanks again guys!
Michael

negomike
01-13-2003, 02:09 AM
or just wait for the parhelia2

But I want to build my new computer in Feb! :cry:

Wiggo
01-13-2003, 05:20 AM
It's possible to use more vid cards but the success of this will decrease as ya add them as the IRQ's become more of a prob and if your mobo has a lot of onboard extras then the prob is compounded. Good luck. ;)

negomike
01-13-2003, 05:40 AM
So I shold try to get a plain vanillar MoBo and add NIC and Sound card plus the vid cards, and it could work?

Would I need any specail software for XP or games to handle the multiple cards?

Also, does the PCI bus have enough band width to support an AGP card plus one or two PCI vid. Cards?

Thanks,
Michael

- I will deffinitely be making a "how too" if I pull this off. :D

Wiggo
01-13-2003, 05:49 AM
Yes a "lite" version mobo and nic (do ya have to have the s/c as onboard sound ain't that bad these days) should give ya the best chance and disable any other ports/controllers on the mobo that ya won't be usin' but as to whether 2 x PCI v/c's will be to much I can't say as I've only ever done a 1 on 1 combo myself. :beer:

aznx
01-13-2003, 11:07 AM
i still dont get how u could get true surround gaming..its not possible.!??!

Mr. C
01-13-2003, 05:42 PM
a lot is possible;
http://www.wideview.it/my_****pit.htm

I've actually seen online 15 monitors in a MS Flight Simulator 2002 setup. It looked to me like every possible view was displayed simultaneously -- how many are there? Counting the map view, instruments etc.
doggoned if I can find the website now though:confused:

Wiggo
01-13-2003, 06:54 PM
Something like this one? :?:

aznx
01-14-2003, 05:38 AM
man thats crazy..

Wiggo
01-14-2003, 05:50 AM
I bet ya wished that ya compaq could do that. :p

:beer: :beer: :beer:

negomike
01-16-2003, 03:48 AM
hold on while I find some clean underwear

negomike
01-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Since this thread is no longer about AGP and PCI adapters; I thought I would start a new thread so those who might be interested in what we're talking about may join in.

Since most people couldn't care less about converting PCI to AGP.

Please let me know if I have done the right thing.

Mr. Blabber mouth.
:bounce:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7676

Princecallidus
07-30-2012, 04:26 AM
There is one that I know of, it is extremely rare and you would have to make your own drivers.
Its the video adapter featured inside the powermac g4 cube. If you can find it, it is about 32$ online.
you can. Get the cube instead.