SDRAM 100/133 future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDRAM 100/133 future?

How long is theese modules espected lifetime now when 815 chipset is going to disapear? Not to many amd boards or p4's use them either i guess...

They will still be manufactured for a while yet, but it won't be long until they go the way of the 72-pin EDO memory modules. The only suppliers will be those who still maintain a surplus supply of them in a warehouse somewhere.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I see, i have a friend who is convinced that the pc-133 modules still will be avaible to buy on the market in like 1,5 years from now...

Comment

That isn't true... SDRAM will only be produced up until around March this year - I know for a fact Kingmax, for one, will stop production then.
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by The__tweaker
          I see, i have a friend who is convinced that the pc-133 modules still will be avaible to buy on the market in like 1,5 years from now...
          Maybe so, but not brand new...and that's if you can find them. They'll probably cost a large bit to boot since they'll be hard to come by.

Comment

PC133 prices will probably start to go up within 12 months as more manufacturers drop production of it but one will still make them for a while but have ya seen the price of PC100 lately? :?:

It's cheaper to buy PC133 as PC100 heads towards 72pin EDO territory (yes you can still buy them brand new but they will cost you an arm and a leg to get). :eek:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The cost of the chips is so low, there is only way go: up.
              Even if the go skyhigh, why would you bother, when there will be DDRII to lower the price of DDR.
              So the pc100 will be like EDO, but DDR will be like PC133.
              Its all good!!! :D

Comment

While I agree with your sentiment about going upward in memory technologies, there are times when you need to have the older stuff on hand. An example of this is where I work. I still have several older machines in use that use the old P166 processors and EDO memory. Even though memory manufacturing is not a high cost proposition anymore, these older modules cost you dearly when (and if) you can find them. Why? Because they're not being made anymore since there is no real demand for them. The result is that those retailers who happen to have a surplus of the stuff can charge whatever price they want.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Some high-end RAID controllers (both IDE and SCSI) have a SDRAM slot that can accept PC100/133, but it usually requires that to be registered. So, it'll need to be around for awhile, but it won't be in great demand anymore.

Darth gave a good explanation of why that is, so I'll end.

Comment

Working...
                  X