What is eating up my cpu resources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is eating up my cpu resources?

Ever since I came back from Christmas break, after my computer had been off for 2 weeks I will periodically have a major slowdown. I have the same number of applications and processes running as usual. However, my computer will suddenly slow down, windows and programs opening slowly, closing slowly, etc. I bring up the task manager and it says that my cpu usage is at 100%. I will shut down all running applications and it is still at 100%. If I reboot, it will go back to normal usage.

I have a Thunder 1.3gig on an Iwill k266 mobo, 512 meg memory and I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1. Come to think of it, I didn't install SP1 until I came back from vacation...

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

have you scanned for viruses?
    also, take a look at "Processes" under task manager to see what's eating up your resorces

Comment

Somehwat the same thing happens on mine and it varies which program is hogging the cpu.. I would kill the process that was hogging the cpu then another would take place..

But most times it's when I try to use explorer (not IE) and explore on a directory where I have many big files (divx files).. so i just kill explorer then run it back again.. it works.. but i guess i just have a slow cpu(1.3 athlon)..

btw, i've had problems with my yamaha 32x cdr/w drive which caused my cpu to *skip*.. I would look at the graph on XP taskmanager (I think under performance tab) and the graph would go up to 100% at the same intervals *about every 30 secs* Then I upgraded to SP1 which seemed to fix it... then a few months later and more windows updates.. it came back.. so i just pulled the plug on the yamaha.. and still waiting for my new one to arrive.

Comment

this problem is caused by winxp's advanced file information stuff

windows scans for media in the background of normal runnnin and when it finds media it catalogs it (if u have explorer open it display the extra info for you)

if it finds a media file that is corrupt or incomplete it can sometimes hang on it attempting to find out what the go is, itseems to go into an endless loop. the thing u should disable is in folder options > vew, then to advanced settings window, and the 2nd or third option is something like display file information or something, turn this off and the problem should be minimised, i found renaming movie files from avi to divx or any like that to something else, which helps on a re-install ;)

if the problem still happens i think there was a way to do it using tweakui, or xteq.

Comment

Working...
        X