PDA

View Full Version : pop-up problem

Sunshine
01-15-2003, 04:09 AM
today whenever I visit this forum - and only this forum - I get a bucket load of pop-ups. it's the first time I've had pop-ups from this site.:confused:
I've visited plenty of other sites today with no problems.
I have a virus-free PC, and have ad-blocked/scanned my PC.....

anyone else with this problem, or just me?:(

StormyWeather
01-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Nope not having any problems... the only problem I have sometimes is it takes forever to post but thats once in a blue moom lately

dirtydog
01-15-2003, 06:15 AM
I use Pop-stopper from www.panicware.com
Try it out and see if it helps:cool:

Mr.Tweak
01-15-2003, 07:23 AM
There are NO pop-up ads running on this website!

Mr. C
01-15-2003, 10:54 AM
I have to say I'm a bit alarmed Sunshine.

It's true, there are no pop-ups here ATM.

I suspect some source resident on your PC is causing this. I would suggest you download and run Spybot Search & Destroy, available at;
http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Spybot Search & Destroy is the only freeware detection and removal tool that is still kept updated -- AdAware and a couple of other popular tools are not kept current. And as we know, there are new forms of nastiness almost daily.

Give Spybot a try and see if it detects anything.

and for anyone who thinks kazaalite is free of spyware, have you run Spybot on it? LOL, no - I didn't think so:cackle:

Wiggo
01-15-2003, 07:36 PM
An excellent link there Mr.C. :thumb:

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Mr.Tweak
01-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Indeed, good work (again) Mr.C

:clap:

Mr.Tweak
01-15-2003, 08:23 PM
WOW - It found 233 "problems" on my PC!

Mr.Tweak
01-15-2003, 08:32 PM
WOW - It found 233 "problems" on my PC!

What a brilliant program. I recommend it to everyone - it took all of 2 minutes to scan through my PC and gave me a list of infected files and registry keys and gave them a security rating classifed by red or blue - many of the blue found items were legit programs like Paint Shop Pro, but you still have the option of removing the crap from them but it did say they may not function properly afterwards.

It even goes as far as telling you, in detail, which each "problem" in each program is doing wrong...

It found two instances of Gator and removed both, that alone gets my thumbs up!

:thumb:

StormyWeather
01-15-2003, 09:28 PM
Question: My mom uses Gator... and when we added adware it came up with a billion it seemed with Gator in them... if we delete those will the program still work??? I never heard of the other program and will give it a try!!

When I loaded Kazza on my computer and ran adware omg the stuff attached to it was unbelievable!!
I at first download just regular kazza and later found out that in the agreement section you gave them permission to use your bandwith and also the use of your harddrive or something like that..... a friend told me this information... he recommended Kazza lite.... now with kazza lite it wants to upgrade and I am staying away from doing so... just for that cause... and I think they are trying to make you pay for it now ::: not sure:::

Mr. C
01-15-2003, 10:27 PM
Your mother uses Gator for what exactly??
Perhaps we could find her a more machine/user friendly tool that would accomplish the same task/s without being intrusive and foul.
Other programs do the same things -- give us a list of her requirements and maybe we could help find some replacements.
In truth Gator is no wonder tool that has no match. Truth is Gator offers some small common utilities that can be found elsewhere without all the heinous added in BS that only benefits Gator with no useful impact to the user.

Gator contains;
Adware = software that serves as a delivery system for advertising while your PC is connected to the internet.

Spyware = software that reports your surfing habits to Gator, where that info is collected and redistributed to study various commercial implications of internet use.

Stealware = this is the most heinous of them all in my opinion, the software in Gator will actually steal your clicks! Allow me to give you a "for instance", let's suppose you wanted to purchase some product from an advertisement on the web. For example, when I purchase memory from Crucial, I always got to TweakTown and click on the Crucial advertisement there -- instead of going directly to crucial.com by myself. That way, when I make a purchase, TweakTown is given credit for that sale and makes a few cents for being the 3rd party that helped sell me the product. That way, I get the product I intended to purchase and at the same time I can support our beloved TweakTown -- Cool, huh!

But the nasty software included with Gator will actually intercept this process and tell Crucial that the redirect came from an entity belonging to the Gator Inc. family of fiends.
That's right! Taking the food out of the mouths of upstanding web sites, Crucial gives them the credit and poor Mr. Tweak gets squat, simply because you allowed such mindless drivel as Gator to reside on your system and propogate the foul-play that Gator is 100% with malice of forethought designed to do.

The only reason that Gator offers you these little utilities that have some amount of use to you is simply that by tricking you into installing that bit of usefulness -- they acquire 1 more machine that will enable them to rape and pillage the good users of the internet!!!!

I'm begging you, find your good mother a replacement for the tools she finds so convenient -- if you supply her with an adequate replacement, I'm sure she will use it, particularly if you take the time to explain to her the foulness that is Gator.

As far as KaZaa goes, read all the above, this time just substitute "KaZaa" for every place you see the word "Gator".
It's the same evil crap in the form of a different so called utility package.

They are both evil personified!!! < I can't stress that enough

In my opinion, anyone who utilizes the "tools" provided by either Gator or KaZaa (and wild as it seems, some people use both:crazy: ). Are certainly uninformed as to the evilness they are supporting and don't have much respect for their computer or honest web sites.

Sorry to be harsh, but Gator and Kazaa are harsh pieces of foulware when you look at what they really do.

and to answer the question; YES, that does include KaZaaLite too!

Sunshine
01-16-2003, 01:22 AM
ok, then there is a big problem.....
I run spybot at the end of every day, and update it religiously.
i have a clean pc up until i open TT.....
I don't have kazaa or gator or any other type of file sharing through the internet. if you go to sites that use illegal sharing of files you get what you expect.
again today I opened other forums... no pop-ups.
opened TT..... new pop-up per page!!!

not good.

Mr. C
01-16-2003, 01:36 AM
What a brilliant program. I recommend it to everyone

There you have it folks!
The official Mr. Tweak Seal of Approval.
So if you were putting off using this program -- get off your duff and do it now!

I am extremely careful about the programs I use and the content which I allow on my system. Fact of the matter is, I've been tempted by a lot of freeware out there, but thorough research prior to actually DL'ing it has shown some of them to contain "less than desirable" undocumented features.

Mr. Tweak takes care of his system, we all know that -- yet he was advised of 233 possible security concerns:eek:

Shocking! But it isn't an uncommon phenomenon, there is a lot of undesirable stuff out there. Some of it is included in programs we pay for - no kidding, crazy ain't it?

My system scan came up with 44 entries. (Told you I'm the cautious type, didn't I) :D
36 of them are benign, such as MRU file listings like the recent documents and recently opened files in media players etc. - no problems, I use those to my own benefit at times.
1 was the Alexa backweb utility that comes with the Western Digital software they distribute with their HDD utilities. Again, no problem -- I had disabled that from the Windows start menu immediately after installing. It's still there, in case it ever should prove to be of benefit to me.
But 7 of them were cookies tracking me on the web!!
I swear to you 3 of those domains have long been disabled through the security features of IE -- but there they were nonetheless.
I don't know if they were actually capable of doing thier nasty business, I assume not. But they are gone now thanks to Spybot Search & Destroy.

Download it, use it -- or I will be forced to tell you again! :laugh:

Mr. C
01-16-2003, 01:54 AM
ok, then there is a big problem.....

Indeed there certainly is!
I suspect GAIN is the culprit here.
Proceed to this link;
http://www.gatoradvertisinginformationnetwork.com/

about the 3rd paragraph from the bottom of that page, it goes like this.

"Users receive advertising messages with GAIN branding only if they choose to download or use free software or Web services that are part of GAIN. To view a list of products that are part of GAIN and installed on the computer you are currently using click here"

left click the "click here" link and see if the javascript shows you any applications -- if so, there is the source of the problem.

Mr. C
01-16-2003, 02:08 AM
In the interest of keeping mom happy I would suggest you have her try RoboForm. It is 100% free of the Gator type nastiness.

http://www.siber.com/roboform/

I think mom will like it:thumb:

Sunshine
01-16-2003, 02:43 AM
thanks for the link about GAIN:
http://webpdp.gator.com/gain/32/about-gain-01.html (how to see if you have GAIN software)
I don't have any GAIN software.

as I said I run spybot every day and I have a very clean PC.

I'm running the Pop-up blaster (freeware one) as recommended by dirtydog, and every time I open a new page on this site I get a "blocked" sound :mad:

Mr. C
01-16-2003, 02:57 AM
This has got to be getting aggravating.
If it were my system there would be foul-language and fur flying by now:laugh:

hmmm, check this link?
http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/removeezula.htm

EDIT;
this may be the better place to start:
http://www.whirlywiryweb.com/q/ezulasurf.asp

Wiggo
01-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Sunshine give POW! (http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/pow.htm) a go and see what ya think of a friendly pop-up killer. ;)

<center>:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:</center>

dryadsoul
01-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Download it, use it -- or I will be forced to tell you again! :laugh: [/B][/QUOTE]
:knife: lol remind me again, soon as my Alpha 8045 install turned
major mod da box is no longer 2 box 'o parts...3 new blow holes
& one mirror paint job(in&out)..........GGGGEEEEEEZZZZZZZ
Can't leave for the few moments required ta make some pre-OC
coolin' part inst'l without major post jumpin' off..........guess
they just ain't no sleep in this boy's immediate future.
i seriously have had no problem with pop-up/under ads on this
or any other OC/Tweaker/Pro-active Metal band sites that i frequent more reg than i tweak my 2100+xp/MSI Kt3 Pro, soon
to breathin' again, boxless rig. Use PopUpStopper when anywhere else. And i wouldn't do Kazza even if i weren't a musician; or AOL for that matter. Have had Spybot on MaxPC
CD for couple months, but, no ISP till this Monday.
However, before i return to re-building my orphans home....
so that i might reclaim my sanctuary.....i will definitely run Spybot
on this 3mo. old duron backup.....any Alpha Arctic3 layering tips?
Y'all chill
:zzz: Whilst i box da modz..gettin' to old for this catchup thang: peace:

Wiggo
01-16-2003, 05:50 PM
As to AS3 tips, just a very thin even layer across the top of the core spread w/ an old credit card is all ya need. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

Mr. C
01-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I guess I was getting a bit of the tunnel vision Sunshine, I apologize. I was on my anti-Gator stump when the answer was right in front of me.
Had not realized the 48 hours was up:o

Seems a cookie will solve your problem;
http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7642&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

check that link and you should see a solution.

dryadsoul
01-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Thankz Wiggo, good luck with family and new home......
:cry:
Gawd told me he only had 2 choices, he could make the
world either fair or round.......so just keep spinnin' till it stops.

going back to my cell to haze the Alpha HS surface and get back
to my own Box..........By the way couldn't vote for some stupid
problem with isp............sooooooooooo, brother man, just go with
your heart and your head will follow........and i am a confirmed AMD for the future ........since 486 dx2.... kind o' man!!

long as ya don't count my pentium test beds and servers that are runnin' Linux...........seems it takes two sides to make Hole:thumb:

Sunshine
01-17-2003, 02:52 AM
welll.......
just to let you know - apparantly, there are cookies in spy-bot that "manage" to check themselves as exclude
b*s***s.:shoot:

to find them you have to go to SpyBot (doh, well obviously)
then to the "excludes" and then "cookies"

then check what is ticked and what isn't.

the ticked ones are the ones that won't be removed..... so I went through them all last night and unticked any I didn't recognise - especially those that have numbers as there web addresses.... on the grounds that I could always reactivate anything that I did need.

and that has got rid of all the nasty pop-ups! :thumb: :D :D

the panicware pop-up killer hasn't shouted once! :cheers:

Mr. C
01-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Well done Sunshine:clap:
Glad to hear you got that worked out, and thanks so much for the tip!

I wonder if Spybot's creator has any documentation on these particularly tricky cookies:?:

PrairieDawg
01-18-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the link to spybot Mr. C! I found a lot of garbage that I hadn't known was on my system that Ad-aware had been missing.

I noticed that you lump kazzalite in with kazza ... why is that? I found no spyware/adware that was connected in any way with kazzalite. According to some forums it is possible to reinstall the original spyware in kazzalite by installing the "updates" that are available while connected to the "kazza network". Could it be that the spyware you associated with kazzalite was leftover from a previous install of kazza?

Mr. C
01-19-2003, 04:23 AM
It's simple really, mess with my system once - get banished.
No parole programs are in place, only removal, restriction are valid to me.

Some programs carry "stub" files that enable a program to be reinstalled with no input necessary from the user:eek:
That's right, no need to choose an update - when they deem it convenient, they will do all the necessary work. In fact there is little you can do about it at all, except of course the trackdown and remove the stubs from your system.

Hec, if you are going to go to all that trouble, why have the program at all? Remove the whole thing seems reasonable in my book.

But of course, if you feel that Kazaa is an irreplacable tool with no valid substitutes available then you certainly do what feels right for you.
Lots of folks use it, no denying that.

Not me, I try to be cautious as to what I allow to enter my system. A bit of quick research showed me that KaZaa was not exactly my cup of tea, if you know what I mean.
Because lots of folks are in automobile accidents too, and I try to avoid that as well;)

PrairieDawg
01-19-2003, 08:11 AM
LOL! Point taken.

The fact is that I share my 'puter and home with my 16 year old son and I'm prolly going to have some sort of p2p program on here one way or the other. I'm not real wild about the possible problems but Kazaalite seems to be the lesser of evils.

Just wanted to point out that it is possible to have Kazaalite without spyware/adware. I have had no problems whatsoever with it but will continue to monitor the situation..

Mr. C
01-19-2003, 12:10 PM
I can appreciate that, I'm just rather fortunate - I have 2 systems that I am the exclusive user and a 3rd that if I ever chose to use it, I would in essence be the sole participant.
The wife has little interest though a laptop is in her possession and set to her specific needs.

From what I gather about the age group your boy is in, KaZaa does provide a quick and effective method of obtaining the type of media he is likely to be interested in.

WinMX is more to my taste, though waiting times are long for some media. No problems for me, 5+ years of dial-up access have given me the opportunity to acquire a lot of patience.

The important thing is that you are not blind to the possibilities. So many folks download and install it without ever knowing what they are in for (referring to the full version here), then 2 weeks later they are wringing their hands and whining that their system is unruly.
There is some wonderful freeware available for the asking and there is also some trapdoors out there to fall through, a fellow has to be careful that's all.

I've just over time adopted a policy of extreme caution, a bit of research doesn't take long and it can really avoid anguish later.

I guess I just go with the adage "nothing is free" and am pleasantly surprised when I find something of merit that actually is free for the taking.

Sunshine
01-19-2003, 07:48 PM
eek

p_dawg - I hope you regularly scan and clean out your PC then?! no knowing what kind of mess teenage boys leave behind!

(and no, I didnt mean the Kleenex type! :hammer: )

Wiggo
01-19-2003, 08:02 PM
I think she means the pr0n cookies that have little "trackers". :D

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Sunshine
01-19-2003, 08:38 PM
:devil win

:cheers:

PrairieDawg
01-20-2003, 03:14 AM
Yeppers .... I go through the system fairly regularly:). He knows about all of the risks as well and so far has been carefull enough not to cause any major problems. Not only does he have a pretty good idea as to what would happen to him if he does something real nasty to the system but I think he'd prolly miss it as much as I would. We lasted two years with out reinstalling M.E. then went to XP so I guess we are doing alright.

Gotta talk to him about the short movies in c:/mymusic/hidden files/movies ... then again maybe not ... some of em are not too bad:devil win:

Sunshine
01-20-2003, 05:37 AM
hehehe...... hmmmm..... better not let him catch you watching them then!:devil win

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 05:54 AM
"hidden files"
Now there's a classic example of what to not name a directory:laugh:

PrairieDawg
01-20-2003, 09:47 AM
I didn't explain that one right. He actually has the movies in a hidden file within the "my music" folder. In order to see the file at all I have to go into "my music" then -->tools -->folder options--->view--->show hidden files and folders. Him did a good job! I give him full marks for creativity but I have no idea why he thought he could outsmart the old man....:laugh:

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 09:58 AM
The not-so innocence of youth:p

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 10:02 AM
In my younger years (not that I am old and wise, yet) I never had this problem as my parents have only just became computer literate.

:laugh: