Vinyl Dye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Dye?

I live in melbourne aust. and was wondering where you could get some vinyl dye.
    It sounds like great stuff for faceplates of cd drives.

Thanks, //alias

I'm in the US, so I can't give you anything specific.
    But you might try contacting some auto-parts stores, furniture stores and upholstery shops.

Of course, maybe some internet searching might come up with some possibilities too.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Any Vinyl siding places around?

If not try the internet, plenty of resources there, erm here.

Comment

//alias...your best bet might be to try getting it on-line, however Melbourne is a pretty big city and should offer it at most hardware stores, automotive, or hobby shops. Look for a product by Plasti-kote "Vinyl Color".
        here's a link that might help, just scroll down a bit and you'll see the guide....

Great deals on used computers, cheap laptops, LCD monitors, business phone systems, & VOIP Phones.

Remember to use very light coats as you will get better results. Let it cure for at least 24 hours.

Sem also offers a product called color coat which can be bought online, however I'm not sure about it being sent overseas?
        Happy hunting! :cheers:

Comment

Thanks HEAPS!
          Those articles made me really aware of some issues that I was previously unaware of (like the terrible smell).

Thanks Again, //alias

Comment

Cool mod...I wouldn't worry about the smell so much, I 've used several different vinyl dyes and they're not so bad. I don't recommend breathing the stuff alot, but it's no worse then some paints out there. If you're going to mod the color of metal, paint it the old fashion way...alot of elbow grease, clean room to paint it in, and sealer, if you're doing just faceplates or bezels that are plastic then give the vinyl dye a shot. PVC can be somewhat of ***** to dye...however there are some automotive dyes out there advertised to work on these "harder" plastics...good luck!
            :cheers:

Comment

i've got new sony drives that have the regular beige face--how do I find out if anyone makes blue face plates to match my chieftec case?

Comment

Where exactly are you from ArborBarber.
                NJ is fairly undescriptive....
                (then again with my terrible geography skills.....)

//alias

Comment

//alias...NJ(New Jersey, USA)

Malabooboo... check out alot of forums and do alot of searches...let me know what ya find for your sony...I'm looking for a black sony dru500a face plate...I'll be dyeing it soon if I don't find one...
                  I'll post anything I find that might help you out here.

Comment

will do.

if you do dye it, document it and let us know how it goes

Comment

Yeah, It'd be good to see how it goes.

//alias

Comment

Check out this site...
                        harddrive.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, harddrive.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

( I just tried the link and was having a hard time loading it...maybe by the time you read/try it they will be back up.)
                        They have alot of colored face plates, they even offer a black
                        DRU500a....I'll be sending them an email to see if they offer just the black faceplate for my sony....Happy Hunting!
                        :cheers:

Update: I just contacted this company and they said they do not
                        offer a black faceplate separately for my DRU500A, however for $25 + Shipping(US) they would coat the faceplate for me if I send it to them. Looks like I'll be posting some info on how the vinyl dye turns out! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                        X