Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking a 2600+

Hi All...

Here's the system i've just assembled and am in the process of burning in...

Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
    EPOX 8RDA nForce2 Motherboard
    Athlon TBird 2600+/333FSB
    CORSAIR XMS 256MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2
    Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9700 PRO
    ThermalRight SLK-800 Hsink
    Vantec Tornado

I believe with the proper overclocking this can easily surpass my friends 2.8p4/granite bay. I'm really new to AMD overclocking, and any suggestions on settings you guys could suggest would be much appreciated.
    :confused:

Readin' these 2 guides well help ya in the understandin' of this art. ;)

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=376

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=411

Comment

Also, considering your processor and motherboard choices, you won't even have to trouble yourself with unlocking the processor to get the multiplier manipulation underway. That board will allow you to adjust the multiplier of the Thoroughbred processors without unlocking the chip. :D
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I am having real trouble, for some reason whenever i turn up the multiplier from the default 12.5 to even just 13 on the 2600+, i get a overclock error and my fsb gets turned back to 100mhz. What am i missing here. I am able to run the fsb very high, but i leave it at the standard 166mhz when i am playing with the multiplier...what am i doing wrong? Do i have to turn down the FSB from 166mhz, even when just turning up the mult. .5?

Thanks guys...
        greg

AMD2600+
        Radeon 9700 PRO
        EPOX 8RDA
        Corsair XMS 3200C2

Comment

Oh my goodness, the Vantec Tornado sounds like a jet taking off...Any suggestions for a slightly more quiet fan, that can still kick some CFM? With the SLK-800, I can probably get away with a little less CFM than 84, right?

i got a 120mm blowhole 4 antec case fans and a 120mm window fan in my chieftec case.

thank you for your suggestions...

Comment

Get a 50cfm Sunon 80mm fan and that should have it soundin' quiter without effectin' ya coolin' to much. ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks wiggo...

Does anybody know why whenever i turn up the multiplier from the default 12.5 to even just 13 in the bios, it doesn't seem to take effect, either in the latest version of sandra, or even on the POST screen, it will still say I have a mult. of 12.5. But when i go into the bios settings, it says it is set at 13.

If i do have the fsb at 133, or anything else, that will get turned back to 100 if i touch the mult.

However if i just leave the mult. alone, i can turn my FSB up to 190, and that works well.

But as soon as I touch the mult. it all goes wrong...

What gives?

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
                Also, considering your processor and motherboard choices, you won't even have to trouble yourself with unlocking the processor to get the multiplier manipulation underway. That board will allow you to adjust the multiplier of the Thoroughbred processors without unlocking the chip. :D
                But does that actually override the CPU multiplier? Some MB's you can change the multiplier, but it won't actually alter anything unless the CPU is unlocked....

Comment

Check the BIOS date out against the latest as I heard that some early versions of this board didn't have the supportin' BIOS installed and a flash is required to get it workin'. ;)

Comment

Yup, i just flashed the latest bios.

I feared that although many people said the EPOX 8RDA Unlocked the multiplier without modification on the 2600+, i don't think its true. Looks like its time to wrestle again with this SLK-800. Could somebody please describe the best way to unlock a AMD 2600+??? I have seen people drawing pencil lines, using conductive paint, and attaching pins on the processor using strands of speaker wire. I just want to have to do this ONE more time. My virgin ears have yet to hear the sound of a procssor die cracking. If possible i'd like to know how to do it with strands of speaker wire.

thanks for your help

Comment

The thing is that here in Australia we rarely see the mobo with the original BIOS's as these generally go the the US, Japan and parts of Europe first as this is where the quick buck is made plus problems are usually sorted out by the time us 2nd and 3rd tier countries get their deliveries. The 2 that I've used now have both done the change without probs but they have come with the latest BIOS already onboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X