Athlon questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon questions

i have posted a while back that i was thinking about upgrading to Abit KG7 mobo. Now that i am ready to buy, i tought of something.
    the mobo needs a bios flash to support athlon xp cpus, since i will go with Thoroughbred up to 2000+, which is max the mobo will support. Can i use that cpu to update bios? (underclocked or not) or do i need one of the Athlon supported (700Mhz - 1.33GHz CPUs). and than put in the xp2000+?

Hope this makes sence.

it will work fine...but it may not run at full speed until you flash the bios...btw, welcome to the A+ club

Comment

Thats what i was hoping for.
      Since the first thing i do is update the bios, running underclocked will not be a big deal for long.

thanks.

BTW 2 days after passing the a+ i went and filled out an application, and thursday had an interview, hoping to hear back fron them this week.
      If i would have know that its gonna be this good, would have got the a+ long time ago.
      Thinking about N+ during the spring break.

Comment

I've had my A+ for a while, and it has yet to get me a job...despite the fact that most have said I seemed to be a better tech than most of them had on staff atm...having learned most of my stuff in Seattle probably helped with there opinon of me in this southern town, there are quite a few people that know a hell of a lot more than I do...good luck with N+, I'm working on my CCNA at the moment

Comment

Im in middle of studying for CCNA too. But i figure that most of the stuff for N+ will be a lot easier, so i'll get it before. I figure i'll get the CCNA before next Xmas. Maybe even i can get the employer to pay for it.
          ;)

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
            Maybe even i can get the employer to pay for it.
            That would be nice...after i get a job...

Comment

A+ ?!?!
              N+ ?!?!
              KG7 ?!?!

Im liking Kane more and more.
              I got my A+ last year along with my N+ and im working on my Server+ and Securtiy+ for April/May ish - need to get up some more cash to pay for the tests. Oh, and i run a KG7-RAID. Best board i ever bought., but do the BIOS update before anything, she can be a little quirky if not properly updated. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                kane2g[/size]]
                i have posted a while back that i was thinking about upgrading to Abit KG7 mobo. Now that i am ready to buy, i tought of something.
                the mobo needs a bios flash to support athlon xp cpus, since i will go with Thoroughbred up to 2000+, which is max the mobo will support. Can i use that cpu to update bios? (underclocked or not) or do i need one of the Athlon supported (700Mhz - 1.33GHz CPUs). and than put in the xp2000+?

Hope this makes sence.
                Sometimes the underclocked CPU will work but, in some cases it won't as the extra's included on the core of the Palamino/Thoroughbred (SSE, etc) will cause the BIOS to crash so be sure to have a Thunderbird or Duron handy. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

When i upgraded to my XP1700 it worked fine but it said Athlon 4 1100MHz... so i assume a XP2000 would work fine at whatever 100MHz FSB speed it would be... oh yeah and i use mine as an example bc its the same board...:afro:

Comment

Yes but others may try it with a different brand mobo and find that it doesn't work though. ;)
                    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Which is why i made it clear that i have the same board... if newbs cant understand the flow of the conversation to fix their prob.. ill give them your ICQ again. :D

Comment

well, i just paid for the board. 50 shipped. but the rest might be a while, cuz my car started to act up on me. Hopefully will get this thing up and running within next 3 weeks.

I hope i dont need a spare CPU like wiggo said, but i wont know untill i try. cant wait

Comment

good luck

Comment

Im pretty sure you dont cuz i never needed to, but you do have a 2000+ and i only had a 1700+, may be a prob, i dont know...

... and thats a good price i paid 150$ in Aug of 2001 when they came out. Mine shipped the day Abit released the board to the Generel Public after a month and a half delay due to tweaking (which is why its the best 761 board there is) and its also the last 761 board made.

Comment

Originally posted by JediAgent
                              Im pretty sure you dont cuz i never needed to, but you do have a 2000+ and i only had a 1700+, may be a prob, i dont know...

... and thats a good price i paid 150$ in Aug of 2001 when they came out. Mine shipped the day Abit released the board to the Generel Public after a month and a half delay due to tweaking (which is why its the best 761 board there is) and its also the last 761 board made.
                              Wow, i didnt know all that, i just wanted something reliable. You should be a sales person, cuz you sure have me sold on it, and thats after i bought it. hehe.
                              But $150 for mobo is kinda outrageous, for me anyway (AKA im a cheap *******). What i am getting is XP2000+, Volcano 7+ (thanks Wiggo), and some PC2100 256MB, and that is $150 or about 200 total. And i still its too expensive. If there were only a way to get it for cheaper. hehe
                              OK im gonna shut up now.

Comment

Working...
                              X