PDA

View Full Version : Got to be a dream - 56k @ 10kb/s

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Alright, listen up folks - remembering I am currently connected through a standard 56k modem.

Just started downloading a song through Imesh as per usual and noticed it started downloading at around 8kb/s and thought well that's nice but it won't last.

But it ended up increasing to over 10kb/s for the entire song and even hit 15kb/s for a few seconds, but dropped back quickly to 10kb/s.

Is this normal for a 56k connection? I usually get a max of 4 - 5kb/s.

:clap:

minibubba
01-20-2003, 07:15 AM
not even close to normal...i used to get less than 3 when i was on dial-up, switched phone lines and got 4-5 as normal...never got above 6...never...

but now i've got cable and normally get 100 but have peaked over 200 a few times :flames:

Beefy
01-20-2003, 07:17 AM
In theory, that's not even possible. It COULD be achieved by some very interesting compression, but I'm doubting that too. Was the total downloaded actually adjusting at roughly 10Kb/s?

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 07:19 AM
In my experience, no, unfortunately that is not normal.

Once I had someone pushing me 10kps for over 35 minutes - I thought I was in heaven:laugh:
I wasted no time in bringing up that users file list, too bad though, I find the rest of thier files to be wholly uninteresting.

Kind of cool when it happens though, ain't it:thumb:

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Was the total downloaded actually adjusting at roughly 10Kb/s?

It hovered around 10kb/s for the entire download. I am confused as the rest as you... downloading another song now at the regular 3kb/s.

:hammer:

minibubba
01-20-2003, 07:31 AM
it was too good to last...:devil win

JediAgent
01-20-2003, 07:34 AM
I agree with Beef, that isnt possible and if it did happen, its breaking a law... did the song actually take less time to dl or did it say 10KBps and take the time that 4KBps would take?

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 07:43 AM
I agree with Beef, that isnt possible and if it did happen, its breaking a law... did the song actually take less time to dl or did it say 10KBps and take the time that 4KBps would take?

My first thought was Imesh mis-reporting the download speeds. So I checked my Internet connected and it was in fact pulling in 10kb/s - I **** you not.

JediAgent
01-20-2003, 07:48 AM
You, you friend, are a felon, as one of those International Communications Commissions says max POTS downloads speed is 53KBps... or 6.625 Kb/s... CRIMINAL!

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 07:51 AM
You, you friend, are a felon, as one of those International Communications Commissions says max POTS downloads speed is 53KBps... or 6.625 Kb/s... CRIMINAL!

*Runs around and locks all doors and windows, then smashes computer on ground*

:laugh:

Maxpowers
01-20-2003, 08:17 AM
im going to say that anything over 5.6k on a regular phone line with a dial up connection is preatty much impossible, there are ways i guess u can get more but not really unless u are in a lab type situation and stuff... what im going to guess is that there is a way to see speeds of up to 400kb/s on a regular phone line this is how u can see a speed like that, lets say u DL a file of 10mb after say 5mb u cancel the DL cause its going too slow or u got cut off, then u go back to that same site and click on that same link again, sometimes just somtimes IE will see the remains of the file in the temp dir and make it seem that u are downloading it that fast but you are only reverting it back from the temp dir, then u slow down to your normal speed... at the end since half of the file was off your hard drive it has a speed say of 400kb/s while the rest has the normal speed at the end when thouse speeds get averaged together it may seem that u have been getting it faster but u really have not

Beefy
01-20-2003, 08:36 AM
You've overclocked your modem, haven't you Tweak?

EDIT: omg... I just noticed the 'song' you were getting. There's your reason. Nobody else in the world is downloading that song so it was desperate to get someone to download it... you came along and it couldn't wait to jump down the line and inflict years of punishment upon you and your family.. :)

JediAgent
01-20-2003, 09:02 AM
Ya know if ya click on a download and then dont press where you want it to go, then come back later IE will have downloaded it in the background, you can click on it to start and it will be done in 1 sec at some outrageous speed... and yes that song is a demon looking for a host...
:flames: :devil win

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 09:16 AM

EDIT: omg... I just noticed the 'song' you were getting. There's your reason. Nobody else in the world is downloading that song so it was desperate to get someone to download it... you came along and it couldn't wait to jump down the line and inflict years of punishment upon you and your family.. :)

No.

It made the top 50 this week so I downloaded it, as I do with all songs.

Mr.Tweak
01-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Ya know if ya click on a download and then dont press where you want it to go, then come back later IE will have downloaded it in the background, you can click on it to start and it will be done in 1 sec at some outrageous speed... and yes that song is a demon looking for a host...
:flames: :devil win

Correct but Imesh doesn't work that way, that I know of?

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 09:23 AM
I would like to point out, that it is indeed possible.
Here in the U.S.A. the FCC has restricted data transfer to 5.3kps, so in essence, a modem sold as a 56k compatible is an illegality.

I was just gabbing with a Canadian in the TTV chat last Wednesday who informed me that Canada does not have that same restriction. He informed me that 7's are common as dirt there.
It is feasible that the person who DL'ed the file to me may have been in Canada (which isn't so very far away from me) - or possibly, just someone residing extremely close to me on just the right set of circumstances to allow this blazing rate of transfer to take place.

And yes, the reporting was accurate by my calculations - it was a DL of the entire file from start to finish.

Yes, it is illegal by FCC standards ____ but I don't care, because I'd bet that the Federal prisons have more bandwidth for me to use than I get at home.

and isn't it true, that DSL is transmitted over regular phone systems---special connectors/equipment, but the same doggone lines that carry the other transmissions?

Beefy
01-20-2003, 09:56 AM
it's more the fact that a 56k modem, in essence, has a potential of receiving data at 56 kilobits per second.. Which, after a direct conversion, equals 7 Kilobytes per second. Minus all the overhead information being sent on every packet, and you are looking at around 5.5Kb as a maximum speed.

However, if there was some form of compression somewhere, then the data may have been coming through slightly faster. But 10Kb/s is still way over the top...

Mr C, with xDSL connections, the line has to be converted at the telephone exchange so that the information can be transmitted at a higher frequency than POTS. That's why you can still use the phone line when you are on the Internet with xDSL. It may be the same cable, but it still needs to be altered.

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 11:02 AM
At this point there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever.......

I have experienced the impossible first hand!

this is the stuff legends are born of:bounce:

Wiggo
01-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Wait till ya get a chance at cable then. :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mr. C
01-20-2003, 06:22 PM
With any luck there will be a 256k DSL connection in place when I return home from work today.

Dreams really can come true!

Wiggo
01-20-2003, 06:35 PM
I hope that it's there waitin' for ya my friend. :thumb:

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Wiggo's-sister
01-20-2003, 07:17 PM
I can say I've had the occasional burst of speed pulling around the 9-10's but usually sit between 3.5 and 5. :cry:

Oh the wretches of being on dialup.

Maxpowers
01-21-2003, 08:25 AM
o ya i can sometimes see the burst of 1200's and 1000's but i tend to sit around the 800kb/s zone

Mr. C
01-21-2003, 12:38 PM
I hope that it's there waitin' for ya my friend. :thumb:

Oh dopey me:hmph:

He said Monday, but I reckon both of us forgot it is Dr. Martin Luther King Day here in the US.

I imagine there was no way he was doing anything without getting holiday pay:cackle:

ah well, maybe - just maybe, the sun will come out tomorrow.

dang, I put in 12 hours - and no holiday pay:cry:

Wiggo
01-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Now doesn't that just rip the cruch out of ya pants. :cry:

Mr. C
01-21-2003, 01:14 PM
Another reason racism should not be tolerated.

The injustices of 40 years ago are preventing me from progress. If this truly were a country where all men are created equal, I would have had DSL today: peace2:

JediAgent
01-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Never seen high speed internet access argued against MLK Jr. like that, but hey, bet your madder now that that guy killed him than you have ever been.

Mr.Tweak
01-21-2003, 03:03 PM
eh... somebody want to explain this story to an Aussie? :)

Mr. C
01-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was the leader of the civil rights movement here in America.

He worked tirelessly for equality among the races.
As is proper, congress declared a Holiday to commemorate his work.
The job isn't done, not by a long shot but he did set the path to getting things right.

http://www.holidays.net/mlk/

http://www.thekingcenter.org/mlk/bio.html

So, I reckon a bit more wait for bandwidth is nothing when compared to the greater good of mankind.

JediAgent
01-22-2003, 03:24 AM
As is proper, congress declared a Holiday to commemorate his work.

Yeah, but if that white guy (whos name i cant remember since every major assassination in the history of America has been done by a lone white guy with a first, middle, and last name.) hadnt killed him, he'd still be around doing stuff and wouldnt have a holiday to commemerate, so you wouldnt have had to wait the extra day.

Mr. C
01-22-2003, 11:21 AM
James Earl Ray

Now deceased I believe and as I understand it, Dr. King's family has some serious doubts as to him actually being the assasin.

What was Sirhan Sirhan's middle name?

1 more day yet again --- yes, this is getting tiresome.
DSL line is in fact in place when I got home, but no NIC or router 'til tomorrow I'm told:rolleyes:

That's OK, I'm off work tomorrow and can install it all myself that way. The wife said the phone guy was actually relieved 'cause he doesn't want to mess with anyone's PC.
She told him there wasn't anything he could do to it that I couldn't fix - but he still insisted on coming back tomorrow when I'm here.

It's just like Christmas Eve at age 4 all over again:cackle:

JediAgent
01-22-2003, 01:35 PM
What was Sirhan Sirhan's middle name?

Ok, maybe that guy didnt have one. Im not exceptionally goo with my history, but im also no loaf. I just remember most assassins of american leaders had three names.

Mr. C
01-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Now that's some conspiracy theory there, 3 names you say, hmmm:?:
I was just pulling your chain JediAgent:laugh: (but I've never heard a middle name for that 1 either.

I got my bandwidth now - Whoohoo!

Shame, one of my happiest days in computing and the forum was down and I couldn't share it with everyone.

Wiggo
01-24-2003, 06:16 PM
That's ok as ya can do it now. :devil win

Mr.Tweak
01-24-2003, 07:54 PM
I got my bandwidth now - Whoohoo!

Shame, one of my happiest days in computing and the forum was down and I couldn't share it with everyone.

Welcome to the world of broadband Mr.C - Hopefully they'll have it ready for me next month as well!

JediAgent
01-25-2003, 12:40 AM
Moving on up... (Echo: Moving on up) ... to the East side (Echo: to the East side...

Have fun Mr. C:cantfocus

Mr. C
01-25-2003, 07:45 AM
Just a few short days ago, I hated people like me:laugh: It's so pleasant being in the same century with you folks:smokin:

Wiggo
01-25-2003, 07:50 AM
You'll be doin' more readin' and less waitin' now. :D

Mr. C
01-25-2003, 09:04 AM
The best part is that I can do so much more without any hesitations or slowing. No more sacrificing the surfing to do the DLing.

Man, I'm getting all teary-eyed just thinking about it:cry:

I feel like I'm alive: party ha

Wiggo
01-25-2003, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the real world m8. :D

CheeZmonZter
01-25-2003, 11:53 AM
hhhmm I would have to agree...If he were still alive we would be better off. I wonder what the country would be like? much better! Also I wonder why we all have to pay for the (crimes?) of our forefathers. At the time it was perfectly acceptable and legal. (I am glad that it is gone for sure!!!!!) I also don't know anyone who was, knew, or had anyone in their memory that was a slave. I am a firefighter who has to deal with affermative action. For those that dont know what it is I will not say anything and let them find out and make their own opinions about it. Suffice to say that I dont agree with it but thats because I am a white male!

for the original reason of the post...I just wish I could download faster than 2.5!!!!!!!!

Wiggo
01-25-2003, 12:38 PM
Australia to California @ 1576kbps atm. :devil win

A little slow for some reason. :?:

Mr. C
01-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Affirmative Action is no substitute for equality. I think they meant well when they came up with the original idea but like most programs it became a political agenda instead of an answer.
Quotas just don't do anything to enhance or achieve equal opportunity.

If it is any consolation, even on 256 DSL you still get those 2.5 DL's (matter of fact, I'm currently DL'ing at .7) at times. But the rest of the time.......

I was so amazed when I was able to even get some bandwidth.
There are 6 connections available in this town, I got mine -- 1 remains for the first taker.
I was so sick of living in the 18th century I was beyond the point of desperation. If I had read one more article on projects to bring wireless access to a third-world country, I was going to freakin' move to one.

But hang in there man. If this little place can eventually get it, there is hope for you.
This town doesn't even have street addresses, and FedEx refuses to deliver here. (LOL, didn't I just mention third-world)
Disney's right, dreams can come true.

CheeZmonZter
01-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Welll according to the phone and cable companies they aren't even planning on bringing broadband out here as there is to small a consumer base for them to justify it.:mad: there are only about 200 homes out here and most of those are summer homes so only about 75 perm residents. They can't make any money so they aren't going to upgrade the equip. necessary for us... at least once a week i call them and ask when its going to be avail. just to let them know that we are interested in it. They have talked about installing a WISP but I don't know if they were serious or not. If I had the capital I would do it myself and screw [email protected]!!!!:laugh:

JediAgent
01-25-2003, 12:49 PM
No city address? No billing address...

and Affirmative Action = Anti Capitalism

Mr. C
01-25-2003, 01:17 PM
No city address? No billing address...

LOL
It drives people nuts when they have to fill in that box on thier form.
I give 'em the PO Box #, and they say, "No, your street address."
Then you tell them that's the official address. They don't believe it for a second, like you're trying to put one over on them.
Sometimes I tell them to call our Postmaster -- that way they can hear it official from a United States government employee.
Most of the time I just say, "2600 Pennsylvania Ave." so they can put something in their stupid box and get on with it.:laugh:

Sometimes they try to put it a different way, as if I didn't understand the question. "What's your 911 address?"
I just give them a blank stare and say "Huh?".

It gets way too funny when this is occuring over the phone:clap:

If someday one of them were clever enough to ask what address UPS delivers to, then they would be onto something.

CheeZmonZter - I think the only reason DSL ever came here is that the county has 1 of their Headstart programs in this village. Hope it stays here too!
Pop. 114 (but not a 1-horse town by any means, there are 4 horses living in the city limits currently) and no, I'm not joking.

CheeZmonZter
01-25-2003, 01:32 PM
lol well we have you beat on pop. and we still wont see it! I live in a small community surrounded by Nat Forest. There is no room to expand and no room to grow...I bought my house here 10 years ago for 63 k now its worth over 120k good for investments but it just shows how fast we ran out of space! A good investment for sure but still.....even worse i am at the end and i do mean end of the twisted pair lines....my 4 wires come out of the bundle and run into my house. I have to run thru every single junction and mess that they create. LOL the phone guys that come out to do repairs laugh when I tell them I get 26.4 or 28.8. They think I am luck to get that! grrrrrrrrrrr
:hmph:

Wiggo
01-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Satelite maybe? :?:

CheeZmonZter
01-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Worse pings than i have now!!!! thought about it but they advertise pings of 500+ I get 200-300 right now...not good but not that bad!

Olie
01-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Since i networked i have been getting blazing speeds on the laptop

usually range from 4.1k-4.8k/s

here is a screenie from What im getting ATM

4.3k steady the whole way

Mr.Tweak
01-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Since I started using my router my download speeds seemed to increase as well, but it should have no effect on download speeds - that I know of... :?:

Olie
01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
I used to go "WOO HOO 2.5k/s" 2 days ago.

this is a bit of an improvement :p

JediAgent
01-29-2003, 03:09 PM
The only way a routerr would help download speed is if your ISP has set you up on another non-routed network that forces you to recieve network packets that either arent for you or arent routable...

TwizlZone
02-01-2003, 04:08 PM
That was pretty funny Beefy LOL, but aaah, can you overclock a modem? really? That would be cool