PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX Questions YOU want answered!

Mr.Tweak
01-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Hazel Heng, Marketing Manager, Asia Pacific of nVidia, has agreed to answer a list of questions regarding their upcoming GeForce FX with the aim to get some definite answers once and for all!

If there are any specific questions you want answered, please list them here and if suitable, I will add them to the list of interview questions I send off to nVidia Singapore.

SileNceR
01-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Can we see a circuit diagram?

Oh and also can he tell us exactly how it works, step by step, down to the tiniest detail?

Acid
01-21-2003, 08:09 AM
1. When can we expect GeForceFX cards to hit Australian shores
2. What prices will they be retailing for?
3. How many versions of the GeForceFX will we see? What are these called and how do they differ from each other?
4. Is it true that all of the first cards on the market will be manufactured by nVidia themselves, much like what ATi has done in the past?

Tio Chaharbaghi
01-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Hazel Heng, Marketing Manager, Asia Pacific of nVidia, has agreed to answer a list of questions regarding their upcoming GeForce FX with the aim to get some definite answers once and for all!

If there are any specific questions you want answered, please list them here and if suitable, I will add them to the list of interview questions I send of to nVidia Singapore.

I got one..

Do you believe that the Geforce FX will be able to gain a huge percentage in the market share of video cards? If So why? Will this card be able to keep up with the next line of ATi/Other competitors video cards?

Thanks cam!

Wiggo
01-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Full and complete details on why this card is 7+ months late to market? :D
<center>:cheers:</center>

Mr.Tweak
01-21-2003, 08:21 AM
Note to self - ask about GeForce FX mobile

Grim Reaper
01-21-2003, 08:38 AM
Hmmm, the couple of questions I was wondering have already been asked:

What is the expected price?
When can we expect it in AU?

Beefy
01-21-2003, 08:51 AM
1. Time, date and expected price.
2. Future versions of the card, including Ultra and whatnot
3. Possibility of ViVo based cards, or is that dependant on manufacturer?

sKuLLsHoT
01-21-2003, 09:25 AM
what does fx stand for, and why didnt they get on the bandwagon and call it the GeforceXP ?

Gambit
01-21-2003, 11:01 AM
Will there be a 256 MB version of the GFFX if so when? Also will there be faster memory clock speeds versions if so when:)? And what about prices for these different boards??

Direwolf
01-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Hello, I would like to ask these four questions.

1st- Will there be a mobile version of the Geforce Fx

2nd- What will the fill rate be for the mobile version (if there will be one)

3rd- What would the memory bw most likely be

Last but not least

When would it be available or be in laptops (does not have to be a specific date)

If any of those questions could be answered It would be much appreciated :angel:

The__tweaker
01-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Is it possible to play 3d games with it...:?:

:confused:

Mr.Tweak
01-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Is it possible to play 3d games with it...:?:

:confused:

:laugh:

I'd reckon so... ;)

Mike89
01-21-2003, 12:53 PM
I'd like to know of Nvidia's future plans on what is going to succeed the FX and when that's going to happen. Hopefully it won't be another year.

I ask this because ATI is on a killer pace right now (btw, I use the Ti4600, not ATI) and surely Nvidia has to know this. I expect ATI to have a refresh of their 9700 Pro out around the same time as FX, or shortly after, and it will probably beat it. (If it does to the FX what the 9700 Pro did to the Ti4600, I think Nvidia is in trouble). I'd like to know what Nvidia's counter is going to be.

I hope Nvidia doesn't get caught with their pants down again

I'd also like to know if the next Nvidia card will use the 256 memory bus.

Fahim
01-21-2003, 01:17 PM
The Questions r listed below:

01. Can u give us the detail about every models of GeForceFX including Features, Core & Memory Frequencies & Of Course about Price for every model?

02. What is your comment about the Price / Performance Ratio of every GeForceFX Model in comparison with ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB?

03. If there any models of GeForceFX equipped with 256MB DDR SDRAM? If so, can u please tell me with such large RAM onboard; do we need to enable AGP Aperture or AGP Texturing?

04. How many Polygons can GeForceFX Handle at Peak (i.e RADEON 9700 PRO = 325M, GF4 Ti 4600 = 136M)?

05. Does All Models Support FX Flow?

Thanks to Cam & NVIDIA for These Questions.

JediAgent
01-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Is there an average % between benchmarks that the FX bests the 9700?

blackrob
01-21-2003, 03:49 PM
1) I won a GeforceFX in the cgshaders.org competition last october. When can I hope to get the prize :)

2) When will we see real hands-on reviews of the GFFX ?

gday
01-21-2003, 04:12 PM
The same promise was made on Beyond3d in 29th of November 2002. About 100 very perceptive questions where asked by alot of real experts in 3d from all over the web - how about finally answering our questions!

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3341

SamuraiCatJB
01-21-2003, 09:15 PM
1) nVidia claimed to be prepared for new releases every six months and this was true for a while. With the GeforceFX, this is one year from the last technology release of the Geforce4. Does nVidia seek to return to the 6 month release schedule or "wing it" at what ever it takes.

2) ATI took a jump over nVidia's technology with the 9700, the GeforceFX looks to top ATI as well. Is nVidia prepared for a technology war with their nearest competetor or does nVidia think this was a one time problem?

3) Programmers like myself have been looking for double precision vertex positions due to the ever increasing geometry capability of graphics cards and ever expanding range of software requested for us. nVidia, and other driver companies, in the past, have claimed this is an OpenGL/DirectX issue and if specs ever request it, they will comply. Is this still the feeling at nVidia now that they have lead the technology beyond spec with floating point color and other capabilities of the GeforceFX? Is nVidia willing to say they are at least considering double precision coordinate geometry?

SamuraiCatJB
01-21-2003, 09:56 PM
nVidia has often produced mobile versions of their chips, but at substantially modified drivers and reduced compliance with openGL specs, etc. Does nVidia plan to produce a mobile chips that are compatible (software & driver wise -- universal driver archetecture) with their full line products although at an expected performance reduction?

gceusa
01-21-2003, 10:05 PM
When will nVidia's version of ATI's Radeon 9500 Pro come out in the U.S.?

gamerpro28
01-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Does the FX use low k dielectircs? There has been some question as to what type, if any, that was used.

guarana0324
01-22-2003, 12:51 AM
We know the 3d quality will be good, but will the GF FX have as good 2D signal quality as the ATI and even Matrox cards? In the past, various GF cards have suffered from cheap components, but I heard NVIDIA was supervising the entire production of the GF FX instead of letting thrid parties create their own cards. Will GF look great at 1600x1200 in Windows?

SamuraiCatJB
01-22-2003, 01:14 AM
In previous times the Quadro level boards were more or less the game (Geforce) level boards plus extras. However, in the recent board tour the QuadroFX does not have the same monster heatsink as the GeforceFX, does this mean the Geforce series boards will now be the top end to the Quadro's or simply that they will be cooled differently?

FormerNvidiaMan
01-22-2003, 01:33 AM
I'm totally surprised noone has asked this as of yet?

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T NVIDIA DECIDE TO USE 256BITDDR MEMORY WITH THE GFFX? 128BITDDR JUST DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE WHAT IT GOING TO TAKE TO BLOW ATI OUT OF THE WATER. Please note, I used to test cards for Nvidia and the very first test cards had 256bit DDR memory on them clock at 800mhz.

Alphy
01-22-2003, 02:54 AM
Throw us some 3DMark 2001 scores, give us a full benchmark analysis. What the hell is this card capable of?

popa lazarou
01-22-2003, 04:05 AM
i think everybody wants the truth on this, too much bs going around

how much better is this card than an ati 9700 pro 2x 3x ?
when precisely will i be able to buy one in uk off the internet
ive stuck by nvidia for a long time but they did an intel and sat back on their laurels and now have to work 3x as hard to gain momentim to beat ati. is this card fully dx9 compatible? what exactly are the precise specs and performance ratings compared to 9700. is it gonna have a big nasty noisy fan or what?

josh_hayes
01-22-2003, 04:53 AM
1. How loud in (dBa) will the New Cooling Solution Be? Does it use the same blower fan (Not housing) as the Abit OTES Geforce 4 Ti Cards?

2. It looks like the Cooling solution (nicknamed the Dustbuster for obvious reasons) sucks in air from the rear of the machine and expels it in the same fasion. My question is, if the hot air is blowing out right next to the intake, would the hot air not be recirculated right back into the unit and create a superheated mixture of airflow?

3. Is the Dustbuster going to be the official cooling solution for the GeforceFX? Will 3rd Party Manufacturers have any say or be able to change the cooling solution with say, a quiter unit?

4. What sort of added features or changes to the design will manufacturers be able to bundle with or change on their cards in order to differentiate themselves from the competition?

5. What is the purpose of the second unused power connector on the GeforceFX PCB in all the pictures next to the Auxilary Power Connector?

6. Will manufacturers be able to offer a Dual-DVI solution since you are overseeing all production? If not, is this feature in the works?

7. Who will be providing your DDR-II Memory DRAMs? What speed (ns)?

8. What levels of Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering will be offered in the Final Board?

9. What driver version is slated to include GeforceFX Support? Will this release add any new features or changes to the existing Control Panel? Is there going to be an easier way to set the Refresh Rates in the Control Panel? (ie a "set all resolutions to xxxHz" setting instead of having to set it on each individual one)

10. Are you able to confirm that there will be a 128MB and a 256MB consumer board available?

11. Any hard figures on the MSRP of the Standard 128MB and 256MB Models? Do you think that price competitions will help to differentiate the different manufacturers?

12. Do you have a current projected release date for the 256MB version in reference to the 128MB Release?

13. Will these cards be in reviewer's hands before release to the public?

14. Does the GeforceFX include any additional Hardware Acceleration for video rendering or playback? (ie Hardware assisted MPEG4/DivX decoding, better DVD/MPEG2 decoding, etc.)

15. Will running the GeforceFX on a 4x AGP Bus as opposed to a 8x greatly limit the performance of the card?

16. Has the GeforceFX been completely validated to have no issues with the new AGP 3.0/8x standard? (ie ATi cards had known problems on release) Should we expect the same possible issues from Nvidia? Will these be ironed out with later driver releases?

Hazel,

I want to Personally Thank You for taking the time to answer my and other's questions. I hope the best for this release and expect nothing but the best from Nvidia. P.S. I want my 256MB GeforceFX! :D

Beefy
01-22-2003, 05:45 AM
Another quick one:

Any chance of getting 3 simultaneous outputs, like the Parhelia?

Mr.Tweak
01-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks guys!

All questions have been submitted to nVidia and I just got this response back from Hazel:

I have answered most of your questions and need to send this for approval. Likely to get back to you first thing tomorrow.

:cheers: