Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOISE and cooling

Hi

Congratulations on the "new old" site. I checked in several times to see when it was back up.

I have just got a new PC. A Dell Precision Workstation 330, P4 1.7ghz. I think it makes an awfull lot of noise, both from the case cooling and CPU cooler.

Which CPU cooler and case fans are the most recommended when it comes to low noise level but safe cooling (without the P4 slowing down)?

Thanks - great website!

Thanks Tor, it's very good to be back. :D

For case cooling, check into some of the Sunon and Sanyo-Denki case fans. I won't recommend any models because I don't know what size we're talking. Case cooling can range from 80mm to 120mm fans.

As for the HSF, I'll leave that topic to someone who knows more about the P4 systems. I can lock you right on target for the Athlon setups, but I'm a complete rookie when it somes to P4. :geek:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

When I put together my Intel 1.5Ghz based system I bought the processor seperate (retail box). The HSF assembly that Intel provides with this processor is more than adequate for cooling the processor. I don't know if Dell puts the same HSF in their systems, however. My system runs about 36C MAX under max conditions. Temps are taken via the internal Intel 850GB motherboard sensors and on-chip thermistors.

Unlike other boards, you actually can rely on BIOS to report accurate temps on the OEM Intel MB's + P4's. The tradeoff to having an OEM Intel board is the unability to overclock anything (FSB or P4) on it.

My 2nd comment is that you don't really need a substantial HSF on P4's. I don't know a ton about Athlon XP's or TBirds, but I do know that even when a P4 is O/C'ed it still runs much cooler than AMD's. The tradeoff, of course, is that we who buy Intels keep losing out in the benchmark wars :(

I don't have a ruler to give you exact measurements, but the retail P4's come with a silver all-aluminum HS that hangs out past the processor about 1cm on all sides, and is about 2 cm tall, with an average sized fan on top. Again, this HS rarely feels anything above lukewarm to the touch.

Comment

The p4s DO put out a lot of heat, like the TBirds and XP's thus needing a bit of hsf and fannage to keep them cool. Unfortunately the speed has its drawbacks and good cooling and a bit of noise is one...try putting the case on the floor if the noise is bothersome...#2son's athlon system with a LianLi case and a Swiftech 462A sounds a lot better on the floor rather that stuck in your face on the desk....and THAT is one noisy system...

The other alternative is to drink more before turning the system on....the more pi$$ed you are the quieter the system sounds......I can't even hear mine most of the time....hehehe....joking!!!

Comment

Hmmmm... I still believe they are mostly a lot cooler than AMD's. Mine is, and it just has a stock HSF. You're right when you say it needs a 'bit' of HSF... It doesn't need a whole lot.

Let's just say minus any cooling an AMD would burn up long before an Intel. I'm not turning it into a AMD v Intel debate (I own an Intel and still think AMD's are faster), but the heat output is not comparable between the two.

Part of this debate is the lack of unlocked P4's out there. Unlock a 1500+ and crank it up, and as you get closer to the limit of what will fit in a 0.18 pipeline you will generate more heat. For the most part P4 O/C'ers can only modify FSB, stressing compnents instead of the processor itself.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am a bit more confused though. Here are some drawings of the CPU cooler:

As you can see it's not a normal cooler, but a rather just a heatsink, a shroud and a chassis fan.

I was considering a Zalman Tech CPU cooler to replace the default cooler. Is that recommendable?

----

By the way, I am not really into overclocking, as I need a rock solid system to make mpg encoding jobs. Those are often in excess of 20 hours and I would be very sad if the system crashed after 19 hours : 1.7ghz is sufficient for me as long as it's quiet! :)

Comment

I havn't seen a Zalman for a P4 yet. :smokin:
              <center></center>

Comment

Before you goe changing anything I woulf check things

1. tighten every screw holding your case together - sometimes a couple of loose ones will allow some wicked vibration noise in your case

2. If any of your fans have a sticker on the rotating hub - peel it off - an offset sticker can make a fan noisier than it should be, especially if it's a high rpm one- I found this to be true on a delta 7K a couple of months ago.

other than that - you might have to look at switching some fans - if your not OC'd - you could look at some temp sensing Case fans that automatically lower the rpm's in cooler conditions

Comment

Thanks, I'll try to look for stickers on the fans. Also I was considering just to put resistors on the power cords to the fans (followed by close monitoring of the temp for a while).

Comment

Originally posted by Tor
                    Thanks, I'll try to look for stickers on the fans. Also I was considering just to put resistors on the power cords to the fans (followed by close monitoring of the temp for a while).
                    You don't have to mess with resistors to to decrease the rpms of your fans

if it's a 4 wire fan leave the 12v lead as is, cut the ground and splice it to the 5v lead 12-5=7, your fan will now be running at 7v and approx 50% of the rpms

You can even splice in a toggle so you can switch between 12v and 7v operation - that's what I plan to do with the 80cfm delta fan on my PAL8045 - so I can here the phone if it rings :D

Comment

www.quietpc.com have a bit of a mad cooler on their site, they say it works with P4 fine, and will operate below the scientifically agreed upon noise level for "silence" (around 24db) I have this cooler and you really can't tell if it's on or not. not too bad for heat too, although not really reccomended for major overclocking on it's own

Comment

Working...
                      X