• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie stuff -- where?

OK, been at it about 24 hours.
    Just as lost in Linux, as I was first day in Windows! LOL
    (but I full expected that)

Been doing lots of web-searching, for the tutorials, etc.
    Found some useful stuff, just wondering if you have any site suggestions. I'm sure I've missed something - or at least hope I have.
    (Particularly, I'm needing help with device driver placement/installation within the Linux file system. I have the driver DL'd, but am repeatedly foiled at installation. Supposed to login as "Root" - do the tar thing - but which Driver directory? I see more than 1)

Now I don't expect to build Rome in a day here, so just looking for some good reading material that can increase my productivity/understanding.

Having fun trying though -- kinda' like having a Bill Gates voodoo doll isn't it?! hee hee Just having a bit of trouble sticking the pins in the right spots.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Try this link http://www.users.bigpond.com/johncoom/linuxlinks.html and tell me how ya go. ;)
    <center> </center>

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
      [B]Been doing lots of web-searching, for the tutorials, etc.
      Found some useful stuff, just wondering if you have any site suggestions. I'm sure I've missed something - or at least hope I have.
      The linux Documentation Project is a must, it has a hella load of how-to's and links.

[b]
      (Particularly, I'm needing help with device driver placement/installation within the Linux file system. I have the driver DL'd, but am repeatedly foiled at installation. Supposed to login as "Root" - do the tar thing - but which Driver directory? I see more than 1)
      This would be a module, you have to compile it against your kernel sources/headers and then when you do "make install" it will install the module to /lib/modules/*your kernel*. You will need to modprobe the module to see if it works and if it does add it to your start up script.

[b]
      Now I don't expect to build Rome in a day here, so just looking for some good reading material that can increase my productivity/understanding.
      ESR's home page is a good read.
      p-two.net

Comment

OK Bern.
        Sounds like you know what your talking about, because I haven't got a clue what you just said. LOL

Thanks bunches for the linkage!
        Got my soundcard installed, only took a week. Still got sound even though I get error mesages at startup ---- leaving that issue for later, as I am definitely not ready for serious troubleshooting in this OS.
        Purchased a hardware modem, and Linux is online ATM. That's gonna' be a big help. Took a lot of momentum out of the learning process when I had to switch OS's to get online when a question/issue came up.:D
        Now, as soon as I get a handle on this here browser, I can get down to business. (or something like that - heehee)
        See that new IBM commercial for the Linux mainframe. "He works for peanuts, because he loves the game" Sounds like a sig to me:wave:

Hmm - on to the next task, how to make a bookmark:sun:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

What browser are you using? I'd recomend you download the latest mozilla which is 0.98, get the full version and untar it to your home directory, find out where your distro has installed the existing copy of mozilla to and rename the directory to mozilla-old ("mv mozilla/ mozilla-old/) then copy the mozilla directory in /home/you to where mozilla-old is. On slack it's in /opt/gnome but in mandrake/redhat or any other rpm based system it will be in /usr somewhere. Mozilla 0.98 had tabbed browsing and other usefull features.
          p-two.net

Comment

OK Bern, I'll check into that this weekend.
            Found the fix for the errors I'm getting in my TCP/IP, hopefully get that implemented tonight.
            1 step at a time, but I'll get a handle on this.
            Been using KDE - it's what came up by default, and that's OK with me for now - 1 step at a time.
            Kinda like some of the features, like multiple desktops - that's gonna' be real handy, I can tell.

Much to do yet, just trying to get a handle on the basics here.
            If I ever get that accomplished (though there is no rush, is there? - just taking things as they arise for now) there is some serious system tweaking in order. KDE runs rather slow at this point (at least in my inexperienced/unqualified opinion) I'm sure there has to be some good tweaks. They'd be much appreciated for sure LOL -- but definitely, best left for later:D

In so much as I am way over my head here, I feel pretty fortunate to have accomplished what little I have at this point:thumb:

Comment

If your using mandrake or redhat then this site has links to i686 optimised kde (and other) rpm's.
              p-two.net

Comment

Mr. C,

here is a good site for linux begginers: http://www.linuxlookup.com/

and for news and discussions [like we have on the forums here] try: http://www.linuxplanet.com/

Comment

Thanks guys!!
                  All good resources there. I've found some goodies at http://www.freeos.com and http://librenix.com recently.

Still foundering against the rocks here mostly.
                  (amazing isn't it, when you find distro specific help files - from the vendor no less! - that have erronous filepaths, and files to tweak that don't even appear to exist!)(oh SuSe, thank you so much. LOL)

But chin is up, and bulling my way forward nonetheless.

Most of this stuff might as well be encrypted at this point, considering the amount I actually understand.

Anxious for the day I can look back at this time and laugh at my misery

And here's a moment I shall look back on with great fondness in my golden years -- my first post using Linux!:thumb:

(big pat on the back would be appreciated about now fella's):fish:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                    Try this link http://www.users.bigpond.com/johncoom/linuxlinks.html and tell me how ya go. ;)
                    <center> </center>

Great link Wiggo thanx.

:thumb:
                    <!-- Begin Code Amber Ticker code. -->
                    <P ALIGN=CENTER>
                    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2" src="http://www.codeamber.org/js/codea.js">
                    </script>
                    </P>
                    <!-- end of Code Amber Ticker code (c)Copyright codeamber.org 2002, 2003-->

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                      [B]And here's a moment I shall look back on with great fondness in my golden years -- my first post using Linux!:thumb:
                      w00t! :thumb:
                      p-two.net

Comment

good work Mr. C :) :thumb:
                        TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...
                        X