Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlocking cpu multiplier with KT400

Hi All,

I've been reading about how some KT400 motherboards automatically unlock Althon XP processors. I currently have an Athlon XP 1900 processor (133fsb) and a gigabyte G7VAXP motherboard (KT400). However, when I change the dip switches on the motherboard to 166mhz FSB it refuses to boot.

Is this because this model of motherboard doesn't unlock the processor or am I forgetting something (or doing everything wrong)?

FYI - When I change the fsb dip switches to 166, the cpu multiplier switches are set to auto.

I look forward to a reply...

gstephensonuk

In most of cases a Thoroughbred core CPU is required but there are some reports that some will do the Palamino (I can't verify this though) but when you stepped the FSB up did ya drop the multiplier down? If ya didn't then tis is why the mobo refused to boot. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hi Wiggo,

When I stepped up the FSB I left the multiplier on the auto setting. Could this be why?

gstephensonuk

Comment

Yes as it would be still using the set multiplier so set the multiplier to 10 and try again plus I hope that ya have raised the core and memory voltages by 0.1 volt as well. But remember that this may not work with your CPU though and physical unlocking will be required. ;)

Comment

Nope, I hadn't even considered the voltage so I will make sure I up this when I try. Any decent links to instructions for votage change would be welcome so I don't fry my cpu but I will try with the .1v increase.

Thanks a lot Wiggo

If it works I will let you know

Comment

Ok keep an eye on ya temps but 1.85 volts for the CPU and 2.7 volts for the memory should be ya max atm. ;)

Comment

I'm not interested in overclocking the CPU Mhz, just the fsb so if the voltages you gave are all I need to do this then I am not interested in pushing it any higher.

Thanks Wiggo, you've been a great help

;)

Comment

Originally posted by gstephensonuk
                I'm not interested in overclocking the CPU Mhz, just the fsb
                When you overclock the FSB, you also overclock the CPU. Remember, the CPU speed is determined by the multiplier times the FSB speeds.

If you are just wanting to speed up the memory pipeline, then look within the BIOS for an option to run the memory at a faster speed. I'm not familiar with your particular motherboard, but if the option is available you should see something like this:

Memory Speed
                HCLK
                HCLK + 33
                HCLK + 66

This will run just the memory at the FSB plus the given amount. HCLK equals the FSB that the processor is running at so the rest is common sense to figure out.

Good luck. :)
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

I have that mobo, and there is an option in the frequency settings, if its blacked out, try setting your CPU back to default then it should come back, or atleast it did for me.

Do you have any floppy problems? Mine seems to not recognize my floppy, tho it works on other machines. I reinstalled the drivers but still got nothing.

Comment

I'm looking at buying that mobo as part of an upgrade for my system .... are you guys happy with it?
                    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                    X