I fear I am SCREWED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear I am SCREWED!

Okay, I've been steadily overclocking my P4 2.4b slowly up to the 3.06 GHz mark. I just got my corsair PC3500 to replace my slloooow PC2100 two days ago and I have been ecstatic. HOWEVER, today, actually 5 minutes ago, I made the final OC to 3.06 and everything was going good, but then it locked up as soon as the desktop came up. Okay, no problem, I'lkl reboot, go back to the bios and bring it down a bit. I turn it off, boot it up, bring it down a notch, pres F10 to exit and save. It begins the reboot then I get this &^*^(%( messgae:

"Windows cannot boot because the following file is either missing or corrupt. Please reload the file.

<windowsroot>\system32\hall.dll"

I have a feeling it's time to fdisk the drive. PLEEEZEEE tell me I'm wrong and there is a fix to this.

Ok quite simple......before going into panick mode and formatting and all sorts of neat stuff. Simply try and get the file off another computer and replace that one. I ran into this problem as well except with "NTSKRNL.DLL" or something like that. I don't know but hey atleast give it a try. What's the worst that can happen?

Comment

I had already thought of. However, the problem is that this happens right after the memory check and BEFORE it starts to go intop windows. The other problem isthat there is no prompt either.

Hmmmm, i'm not in panic mode. I'm calmly (well, ALMOST calmly) hoping to get in there and fix it somehow.

Comment

Make a dos bootable floppy with a copy of this file on there. And BAM there's your prompt. :p

Download hal.dll free! hal.dll is a system critical or suspicious file. Here’s how to fix the error:

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
          Make a dos bootable floppy with a copy of this file on there. And BAM there's your prompt. :p

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal
          The only problem with that is that DOS doesn't recognize NTFS file systems. It won't even be able to see it, so unless Hog Wild Overcl happens to be using the FAT32 file system still, then it won't work.

Another option is to boot with your WinXP disk. When it starts off asking about installing Windows, it should give you a chance to enter recovery mode. From there you can have the Windows disk check the integrity of your system files and then have it automatically overwrite any that it finds corrupted.

Also, take the system to a fully non-overclocked state before you do this to make sure that it isn't aggressive BIOS settings that is causing the problems you're having. I have gotten similar messages before but when I kick speeds back down, it boots normally.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

I wish you best, but when i got error that w/ hall.dll it was the end of the drive's life. Hope it will work out better 4 you.

Comment

Okay, I got it working again. I booted from the XP disk, skipped the ASR and told it to repair. At the prompt, I just typed

c:\windows> copy e:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32

rebooted and everything is back in working order. Thanks for all your help guys. Much appreciated :smokin:

Comment

Working...
              X