Upgrading AMD system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading AMD system

I'm trying to upgrade my system on the installment plan: buying and building as I can afford it while keeping the system functional. What I want to ultimately have is a good/great gaming system that will last as long as possible and still be able to afford to eat while I build it. Looks like the best place to start is by getting a decent motherboard, a bigger case (hopefully less than 18.5 inches tall), and at least a 350 watt PSU.

I've seriously been considering starting with a Giga-Byte GA-7VAXP (http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7vaxp.htm) for the mobo but that also means starting out buying DDRam as well. Are there any decent mobos in the same class that will let me use my SDRam untill I can afford the DDR?

Am open to suggestions on the case but I'm not too fussy there as long as it is relatively inexpensive and will do the job. If it don't look pretty I can always mod it or hide it :geek:.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and remember functionality and reasonable priceing are my primary goals.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

No as both mobo chipset's that do are POS. :(

Do ya self a favour and save up for that DDR memory as even that 750 Duron would benefit greatly from it. :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks Wiggo. Kind of what I thought but I wanted to confirm it. Is there anything I should watch out for as far as cases go or will most cases do the trick? Am assuming that most cases will accomidate the mobo with exception of prebuilt brand name stuff like my Compaq POS. Looking at this one :http://www.computergoodies.ca/item412.htm
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

I'd checkout how well that front case fan will get fresh air there as most cases like that are very poor in that dept. ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks again for your input! Guess if it does have a problem with airflow I can always add a fan or two in the side. As long as the case will get the job done I have no problem with adding holes and fans.

Comment

Just an udate .... decided to save my coin for now and settle for changing out the Duron 750 for a 950 as well as adding another fan so I can hopfully push my video card a bit more. Yep ... I know it's still a POS but it'll work for now and I should have enuff cash left over to put a better 5.1 sound system on it within the month. It'll still handle anything Ive thown at it so far so it might as well sound good too.:D

Comment

Working...
            X