Uninstalling Geforce Drivers Causes Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstalling Geforce Drivers Causes Problems

I am trying to update my video card drivers and I am having problems. What exactly do you have to do to uninstall drivers? Do you just go to Add/Remove programs and rip them out or do you have to replace them with something first? I have a 2.0 Gig P4 running XP. I have 64 MB GeForce 2 video card. Whenever I reboot I just get a black screen. Thanks ahead of time.

Ok, I just used add/remove programs, uninstalled the old drivers. Installed the brand new drivers from Nvidia. Rebooted, and my screen went black again and I had to use system restore.
    I don't know what the prob is.

have you tried nvidia destroyer ?????

Comment

Detonator Destroyer is designed for Win9x systems, not WinXP. Just something to consider.

Whenever I dump old drivers, I just remove the driver, then remove the device under device manager. This allows the system to readily identify the component again and lets you install the drivers for it. About the best trick that I've found is to have the fresh set of drivers unzipped into a folder before you do the required reboot. Then you can just point the OS' installation wizard to the folder where the drivers are located and let it go to town. From there it should just take another reboot (to load up the newly installed drivers) before you're up and running.

But something else to consider... what version drivers are you trying to install. Some of the newer drivers aren't made for the older GF2 video boards and may be causing the troubles you're going through. Check around for compatibility issues since it is possible that you'll want to try an older set of drivers.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

It wouldnt be the newer drivers, im running a GF2MX400 wiht the newest detinator driver and it works fine.

Comment

Ok, I didn't try the detonator destroyer because it's not for XP. I got Regcleaner and that helped clean everything out. I tried installing every driver from 41.92 or whatever all the way back to 30.82 to 29.72 or something and the only one that works is 1.5.20 which came out way back in Aug 2001. I uninstall the old ones , clean out the registry and everything I can think of. Then I reboot in VGA. I install the new ones, I reboot and then during rebooting the screen shuts down and goes into power saving mode. I have a 18.1 flat-panel monitor, does that matter? I don't know what else to tell you. 2 gig XP, GeForce 2 MX 400 64 MB, Thanks for any new suggestions.

Comment

Stupid question, but are you using the setup.exe file or the .inf file that comes with Detonator drivers?
            My Toys

Comment

That is definitely not a stupid question to me because I barely know what you are talking about.
              When I install the new drivers I do it just like the tweak guide says. I extract it to a folder. I choose update drivers and select where to get them from. I never really have to deal with choosing between .exe and .inf

Comment

Actually, you HAVE chosen, and chosen the correct manner as well. When you install by means of the .inf file, you point the hardware wizard to the folder where the drivers are located and it uses the data from the .inf file to load everything up.

I asked because the setup.exe file doesn't always work properly. But since you didn't use it, I'm stumped. Hopefully someone else will stop in with another idea.
                My Toys

Comment

So i shouldnt use the setup.exe to install detonator drivers???

Im having somewhat of a prob myself, but that was before i learned 41.09 req DirectX9, so im in the process of seeing whether that fixes it...

Comment

"but that was before i learned 41.09 req DirectX9" :?:

hmm that is not true.

:cheers:

Comment

I was told 41.09's were DirectX9 drivers and wouldnt work aswell under anything older. :confused:

Comment

Working...
                      X