a newbie cpu ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a newbie cpu ?

Hi, glad to be here, I hope y'all can gimme a hand. Sandra says I have an AMDK7M v 1.04, I have a 900Mhz right now, how fast can i go w/ the same board? And, would it even be worth it, or should I get a whole new board and all, I'd like to at least get to the 1.6Mhz range.

THanks!!!

BTW, the chip in it now is an Athlon M4(Thunderbird) 650-1.4G 1.7-1.8V

Comment

Ok what ya have there is an old slot A CPU which will be hard to find another CPU for and that will be 2nd hand at best plus 1GHz was the highest supported speed. :(

Quite frankly you'd be better off leavin' it as it is and thinkin' about buildin' a new and up to date PC as most of what hardware you'll have there will be pretty much old technology and well behind the times. : peace2:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

all rightey :(

THanks wiggo!

Anyone w/ any ideas on how to overclock it? It's got the stinkin' HP proprietary bio and no switches on the board. It's a k7m board, but of course not the standard board b/c it's HP.

Comment

It's not worth the effort in my opinion as that one will be a specially newted version just for HP so no one could play with it. :(

You would almost have to rebuild the whole thing which is why I suggest leavin' it as is and buildin' a new one ya self. ;)
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

since its a HP, does it have passive heatsink on it??????
            I got a socket A board too. but it has nice TT golden orb or whatever its called.
            If you have active heatsink, and got some jumpers, see if you can up the multiplier to 950 and than 1000.
            But my guess is that there is no jumpers, and the mobo is set to AUTO, in which case, you can put some fans in it, but it wont make it any faster! And HP wont put any overclocking in the BIOS so you're SOL!!!

I agree with Wiggo, this isnt worth overclocking. Next time get a real system. There are plenty of socketA boards out there.
            i got my KG7RAID for 45 bucks. There is the non-RAID one for 40. It can run up to a 2100+ chip. \
            If you want to upgrade, that would be the system that i would suggest (I actually got 1 of those mobos runnin 2000+ and second one is on the way)

Just my 2 cents

Comment

He has a Slot A not a socket A. You can't put anything worth having in a slot mobo.
              <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
              Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
              Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
              2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
              80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
              </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
              Blaster Live!<br>
              Volcano 7+<br>
              GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
              19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
              </p></td></tr></table>

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                since its a HP, does it have passive heatsink on it??????
                I got a socket A board too. but it has nice TT golden orb or whatever its called.
                If you have active heatsink, and got some jumpers, see if you can up the multiplier to 950 and than 1000.
                But my guess is that there is no jumpers, and the mobo is set to AUTO, in which case, you can put some fans in it, but it wont make it any faster! And HP wont put any overclocking in the BIOS so you're SOL!!![/B]

I agree with Wiggo, this isnt worth overclocking. Next time get a real system. There are plenty of socketA boards out there.
                i got my KG7RAID for 45 bucks. There is the non-RAID one for 40. It can run up to a 2100+ chip. \
                If you want to upgrade, that would be the system that i would suggest (I actually got 1 of those mobos runnin 2000+ and second one is on the way)

Just my :2cents: just thought I'd update it for you lol:shh:

Comment

Working...
                X