PDA

View Full Version : i Want to start a dial-up service

PaPaPuffALot
01-30-2002, 02:27 PM
I'm moing to a small town were there is no broadband only dial-up and the dial-up there makes you pay by the hours no unliminted internet.

i kow that there is a t1 in the town so i know i an get that but i need to know....

well everything else

what equitment i will need
who i would probly have to talk for what ever services i need.

or/and any web site you could refure me to would be great
im not to worryed about the price well to a point now hear me.

thaks for any help :D

Andy
01-30-2002, 02:32 PM
pfft, why start up a dialup service, just have the t1 for ya self :devil:

ct_
01-30-2002, 09:29 PM
nooooooo, not THAT T1!

get your OWN T1! :D:crazy: :drunk:

PaPaPuffALot
01-31-2002, 01:03 AM
i cant aford it by my self

Mr. C
01-31-2002, 02:42 AM
Dude:eek:

I think that you might best check and see if you can get a government grant -- something in the category of "providing internet access to rural communities" perhaps.

A trunk connection to the internet alone is going to cost several thousand $'s per month most likely.
Then you need some expensive equipment, if you envision being a reliable ISP -- Not to mention some folks with the know-how to set it all up (you ever seen the size of a book on the topic of an e-mail daemon for instance), they don't work for free most likely.

Of course, if you are independantly wealthy, a quick trip to your banker might get you a nice business loan for a 1.5 million dollars or so.
Although I'd advise against that -- never start a business with your own money, that's just not good business practice.:D

PaPaPuffALot
01-31-2002, 03:36 AM
well thast my plan there is 50k grant money out there waiting for me

so like i said $$$$$ not to big of a problem

Mr. C
01-31-2002, 07:42 AM
50k?
With all the money the government has, the best you can come up with is 50k?

Tell them to print some more:D

wuntvor
01-31-2002, 09:11 AM
lol :laugh:

have them print me some while your at it papa ;)

hbidad
01-31-2002, 11:28 AM
Anyone know how mucha private T1 line would cost?

Darthtanion
01-31-2002, 01:15 PM
I've heard tell that it is somewhere in the neighborhood of US$1000/month, but I haven't priced one so can't say for sure if that is an accurate figure. Just what I've heard before.

PaPaPuffALot
02-01-2002, 12:23 PM
depending on who you get it from any were from 1000-2500$$$ a month
:shoot3:

Olie
02-01-2002, 02:00 PM
mmmmmmmm t1 goodness :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

50k US wouldn't get you much of a setuyp dude

i would be saying 7-80k atleast

Anonymous
02-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Getting into the ISP business hey... Make sure you do lots of research. I wouldn't have thought the United States Government would have had to offer grants for this kind of thing in a country so technicalogically advanced. : peace:

PaPaPuffALot
02-02-2002, 07:49 PM
well there is alot of money out there to do small business that i would qulify for and there is money out there for small town internet they wount everyone out there to be on-line.

I just need to know were to start so i can start reading up on it.

Mr. C
02-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Getting into the ISP business hey... Make sure you do lots of research. I wouldn't have thought the United States Government would have had to offer grants for this kind of thing in a country so technicalogically advanced. : peace:

For the most part, it was government programs that got phone lines to the rural communities to begin with.

If they're going to give free access to the Native Americans, the least they can do is get a pay-for-it service to farmers and such.

Thanks to the state Governors wired schools program, rumor has it DSL will be coming my way.
The Governor caused a lot of fuss when he used prisoners to wire the schools instead of contracting electricians.
But he got the schools wired, and saved the state a fortune -- 0.24 $'s an hour vs. the big bucks.

Albinus
02-02-2002, 09:21 PM
In Australia there is really no point, 95% of the country is not financially viable to service. Unlike the continental US, the same physical size as Australia (roughly) but with over 15 times the people, it's much more viable there :thumb:

Mr. C
02-02-2002, 09:56 PM
What you say is in essence true Albinus.
But when you factor in the spread of that 15x population, it does leave a lot of people out in the cold.

Are you aware that the second largest city in South Dakota is actually an Air Force base?
Situated snugly against the 3rd largest city in the state. While the largest city is about 500 miles away on the other side of the state.

That's a lot of cattle ranches/farms inbetween. How economically viable is it to run fibre-optic cable an extra 120 miles to wire Mr. rancher?
In actuality, he has a real need for such connectivity, and would soon make good use of it in the everyday operations of his life/profession. But unfortunately, he is not likely to get that vital access in the near future.

North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho - all have similar problems in regards to population -- there are a few pockets that get the attention. While the major part of the population goes without such infrastructure.

Albinus
02-02-2002, 10:05 PM
But having little towns all across the country can be beneficial. Simply have a node on a transcontinental optic fibre, and the town is serviced. We don't have that in Australia, the only transcontinental fibre is the Nullabour Plain, between Perth and Adelaide (also the home of the world's longest stretch of straight railway).

Sand isn't very good to lay cable in :cantfocus

Hughesey
02-08-2002, 02:20 PM
*dr evil voice*

ONE ..... BILLION.... DOLLARS

:D

T-Shirt
02-09-2002, 12:57 AM
$1000-2500 Plus provisioning (you pay for the providing an upgrades nessasry to bring the local loop up to code,new equipment at the CO)
Depends alot on state regulation (tariffs)
Call the phone providers for that area, get a quote (at least that's free)

brashquido
02-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Anyone know how mucha private T1 line would cost?

Gotta remember you're dealing with Tel$tra here!! I worked for an ISP that payed $30,000 to $50,000 per month for a similar connection!! Tel$tra is hella expensive!! We did have 25,000 users though.

Albinus
02-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Errrrrr........ he's in America? As far as I know, Telstra ain't heavily involved there :toung: