agp slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agp slot

here's another stupid question from me... i've checking up on video cards and they say you need an agp slot 1x 1x 3x, i think i wrote that write, anyways how do you know which kind you have... i know i have an agp slot, but i don't what kind and what's the difference anyways.

The slot itself is the same. The only real differences in slots are AGP and AGP Pro, but there are very few Pro cards out.

The difference will be what the motherboard's chipset will support. Older ones will only allow you to run the video cards at 1x while the newer cards can run at higher speeds.

Oh... and the values are AGP1x, 2x, and 4x. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

okay... well i checked and i have a agp 2x, if i buy a video card that supports a 4x will it still work or not... and if not do you know if the geforce 3 ti 500 works on agp 2x

Comment

It should work a bit better in a 4x slot, but would still operate in a 2x.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Mr C pretty much has it there, but you should be aware of a couple of exceptions...

I have seen a few Pentium 4 motherboards that require an APG 4x card to work. Just check out the motherboard specs and you should be able to find a happy medium. :)
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

this site has the geforce 4 ti 1000 at agp 8x.... will that work properly on any motherboard... the ti 500 looks good... and that's on a 4x... oh well heres the site http://www.f1gamers.com/f1/news/100928887919808.php
            i just hope the gf4 ti1000 is cheap so that i can afford it....

Comment

Well, AGP 4x cards should work on motherboards which support agp 2x, although I've seen (and had) one that wouldn't work (more on that, along with a fix, below).

Agp Pro slots, support normal AGP (non-pro) cards. They usually have the first pins of the slot blocked, so you can connect a normal Agp card with no problems (if you want to use a pro card, you just remove the obstacle).

There is also another kind of slot, an Agp 4x slot which has a different layout than the normal one, to disallow insertion of 2x cards. I've seen it on some boards, but I don't remember which. However, I don't see much support coming for this slot.

Now, the fix for 4x cards used in 2x boards: This happened to me using an elite p6-bxa+ (p2 board) with an MSI Geforce2 MX. The solution, which actually worked, was to cover the final two pins of the card with tape and insert it to the slot. This forces the card to adhere to the 2x specs. The problem I had was that the card was that I was unable to go past Vga mode.

Comment

Working...
              X