will this work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this work

been doing some learning/searching on what kind of board and cpu i want, i don't have lots of money to spend so I'm trying to be conservative.Here is what i kind of chose ,so is this going to work or what would be better?.

board- a7n8x deluxe nforce2 and athlon xp/duron,socket A ,atx, 3gb ddr-sdram,333mhz fsb 129.00 usd.

cpu-xp2400+(2.0ghz,384 kb,266mhz,socket A )143.00 usd

or would a xp2500 ,333mhz be better 196.00usd

yes this is my first post ,what I'm trying to do is put together a new computer for my 1st time,its been fun learning so far i still have alot to learn,so maybe by asking some questions and doing alot of reading i can get going on this new computer.what i plan on doing with this puter is just about everything,i probably do the on-line thing the most with gaming the second most.also ive been doing alot of reading on this site and i think its a pretty good site that why i finally joined,so thanks for any help

I take it you are referring to an Athlon XP 2600+ as the last choice? There is not a 2500+ processor. :)

As to the components, they will all work fine. Also, by choosing the AMD route, you have left open a large window for some future overclocking. You may find some workable information in this guide since it is designed for AMD based systems. It was created for the Palamino processors, but will still give useful knowledge for the T-Bred chips as well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Entry level Bartons are rated at XP2500+. ;)

Comment

For under US$200? Sounds interesting. Have there been any articles about how well they overclock?
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Not that I've found yet but it will be interestin' to find out though. :D
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darthtanion
            [B]I take it you are referring to an Athlon XP 2600+ as the last choice? There is not a 2500+ processor. :)

sorry,this is what i was talking about "Athlon XP 2500 (1.86GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A)" 196.00us

what do you mean by saying [There is not a 2500+ processor]

also i need to give it some ram ,probably 512mg of ram for starters,so what would work good with this setup.

what does Bartons mean when referring to entry level.

Comment

"Barton" is the 512KB L2 cached AthlonXP that has just been released but there's a lot of speculation around about how well the XP2500+ version (lowest speed available in this core) will overclock. :devil win

Comment

thanks Wiggo for clearing that up,when i here different words like that i start to get confused,learning can be confusing for me so please hang in there for me,your teaching a old dog new tricks !

Comment

N/p as I'm waitin' for the price cuts to be reflected here so I can grab a CPU for the rest of the hardware here waitin' for it but if those XP2500+'s get here at the same time I'll see how well one goes in a nForce2 mobo (8RDA+) with Corsair XMS3500 memory. :devil win

Comment

Ijust bought one, and tried putting it in a Asus a7v8x mobo. I had to flash the bios to even boot up, but once running ran into via issues. (Had several via mobos with AGP issues) The processor defaults at 1.83 ghz, and I overclocked it all the way up to 2.18 ghz stable. At 2.2 it got a little sketchy, but Im running it right now at 2.0 flat. The Nforce board will run it without the agp lockups i bet. Good luck

Comment

Yes I'd be very wary of usin' one in a KT400 based mobo though the KT400A's shouldn't have a prob but atm I'd stick to usin' them in nForce2 mobo's.

Comment

Working...
                      X